Saturday 11 November 2023

Rock 'n' Roll Child

At last.... T. Rex!
 
It's been a while since I've focused on the 1970s and incredibly given that this blog is coming up to its 3rd birthday, the first time there has been a Dubhed selection of Marc Bolan and his merry crew.

I was a toddler during T. Rex's imperial phase but the songs were embedded in my psyche through frequent radio play in my formative years. An early - and essential - purchase in 1986/87 was K-Tel's 28-track double vinyl compilation Best Of The 20th Century Boy. It really is a spectacular package, inside and out. 
 
I'd still have it now had it not been one of the casualties of a flooded and collapsed roof whilst my girlfriend and I were away, travelling around Spain for a month in the late 1990s. To come home and find the album and several others in the ill-fated record box had been totally wrecked by a combo of rainwater and sodden cement and plaster was (relatively speaking) the least of our worries but absolutely gutting to say the least. I've never replaced the album, but putting together today's selection has had me glancing over at the Discogs marketplace...

The thing is, even marketing a 28-track collection as a "Best Of" didn't capture all of the brilliance of T. Rex, so I'm not going to pretend that a 14-song selection will come ever close. However, however.... it's a mark of Marc Bolan's individual and collaborative genius that, despite the odd dip here and there, the quality of music wasn't just limited to the A-sides. Yes, this pseudo-mixtape is inevitably laden with hits but there are a few B-sides, album tracks and session versions which provide a hint of what I mean.

I've taken the same cue as that glorious K-Tel compilation by starting off with The Groover and left off as many personal favourites as I've included, though Metal Guru was non-negotiable. I've also resisted the temptation to mirror the "Best Of" by ending with Cosmic Dancer, much as I love it, instead going for a relatively lesser known T. Rex song from Bolan's Zip Gun (1974)...

One and a two and a three and four, hey

Golden eyes on a sunset lawn
Make me feel so glad to be born
Broken pages on the edge of night
Make me want to squeeze you tight
Till dawn
Till dawn oh

Heat will fly on a sky of gold
Rivers flow like diamonds oh
Sweet angel girl I need you now
Locked around me like a burning house
Till dawn
Till dawn oh

Golden eyes on a sunset lawn
Make me feel so glad to be born
Broken pages on the edge of night
Make me want to squeeze you tight
Till dawn
Till dawn oh

Till dawn t-t-till dawn Till dawn t-t-till dawn
 
Wherever you are and whatever you're doing this weekend, I hope you can spare a few moments to groove and boogie. It's done me a world of good!
 
1) The Groover (1973)
2) Get It On (1971)
3) The King Of The Mountain Cometh (1971)
4) Metal Guru (1972)
5) Light Of Love (Album Version) (1974)
6) Jeepster (1971)
7) Born To Boogie (1972)
8) New York City (1975)
9) Zip Gun Boogie (1974)
10) Laser Love (1976)
11) Children Of The Revolution (1972)
12) Telegram Sam (1972)
13) Sailors Of The Highway (Bob Harris Session) (1971)
14) Till Dawn (1974)

1971: Electric Warrior: 2, 6
1971: Hot Love EP: 3
1972: Children Of The Revolution EP: 11
1972: Solid Gold Easy Action EP: 7
1972: The Slider: 4, 12
1973: The Groover EP: 1
1974: Bolan's Zip-Gun: 5, 9, 14
1975: Futuristic Dragon: 8
1976: Laser Love EP: 10
1996: Tyrannosaurus Rex & T. Rex: A BBC History: 13

Rock 'n' Roll Child (45:59) (KF) (Mega)

10 comments:

  1. A perfect comp, K. And yes, Metal Guru is non negotiable!

    JM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! Plenty more for future selections, too....

      Delete
  2. Very good selection, especially the opening two left and right punches to knock us out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ernie! The K-Tel compilation opens with The Groover, Jeepster, Dreamy Lady and Get It On which would definitely win on points but I'm glad you enjoyed the 1-2 set up here.

      Delete
  3. Just wonderful, love the selection of tracks. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mooz! I hadn't heard the closing two songs in a while so it was a treat for me too. Plenty of choice cuts to return to for a future post, too.

      Delete

  4. Cracking selection of the Cosmic Dancer there Khayem!
    2 memories, 1st - my school days in N.Brizz, I had a mate who was obsessed , I mean early teenage crush , by Marc & T-Rex in the mid 70s. I was sniffy about them & didn't rate them that much at the time. He was of course correct in recognising the genius & I was (& remain) a fool! :-)
    2nd, some time in the late 80s I my Dad bought me that same vinyl compilation for Xmas (probably shaking his head & tutting about my taste in music) as by then I had (temporarily anyway) stopped being a fool & asked for it so I could reappraise. Still have the LP to this day, it is a belter! Sorry for your loss...
    anwe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, anwe! Many a time a friend has been heavily into an artist that has just left me cold, only for my belated enlightenment many years later...! As for your Dad, he might have been questioning the music but he can't have argued with the value for money. I think I paid £5.99 for the album at WH Smith back in the day. What a bargain!

      Delete
  5. Great selection. Happy 3rd birthday, when that rolls around.

    I picked up a two CD Bolan / T-Rex collection in mint condition in a charity shop the other week. I had all the tracks already, but I just couldn't resist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rol! A little while off - 7th Dec, to be precise - before Dubhed turns toddler. I didn't have anything planned but may come up with something to celebrate/commiserate!

      I completely get the urge to get a charity shop CD even when you already own the songs, especially a Bolan/T. Rex compilation. I'm sorely tempted to buy a secondhand vinyl of my lost K-Tel album from Discogs just because it was such a joy to listen to, each side/7 songs perfectly sequenced.

      Delete