Thursday 2 November 2023

Social, Spacial, Special

StinkyJim aka Jim Pinckney was placed firmly on my radar by Swiss Adam's review of his albums, It's Not What It Sounds Like (2021) and Spacial Awareness (2022), over at the ever-rewarding Bagging Area.

The latter received a companion release, Social Awareness: The Remixes in July, with a similarly favourable review by Adam, and it's been on regular rotation at Casa K since.
 
All 12 of the original album's tracks get a makeover, a couple - Cry For The Ute and Owner Face - receive multiple reworks, making for a satisfying 16-step excursion into the version.

I'll admit that most of the artists involved were complete unknowns to me but the quality is high throughout and I've been inspired to investigate further. Here are a trio of highlights for me. 

 
My Dubhed selection In Love With The Light a month ago featured the remix of Steam Fish by Seekersinternational, and noted that this was one of the last vocals recorded (at Tuff Gong in Kingston, Jamaica) by Nazamba aka George Scott, before his untimely passing in July 2022. 

 
The album closes in fine style with an epic ten and a half minute remix from Rude Audio aka Mark Ratcliff.  

 
Stinky Jim's dub-infused grooves are right up my strasse and all of the artists involved in the remix project have brought something new whilst respecting the character and shape of the original music. 
 
You can buy Social Awareness: The Remixes as a full 16-track digital album directly from Stinky Jim on Bandcamp. A 5-track vinyl EP is also available from Haymaker Records.
 
I'd also support Adam's previous recommendation of Stinky Jim's weekly show, Stinky Grooves, broadcast every Tuesday via 95bFM out of New Zealand. It's a real treat.

2 comments:

  1. Love it. More of this, please!

    JM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This album travelled with me to Valencia. I can confidently report that it sounds just as great in Spain as it does in England!

      Delete