Wednesday 17 May 2023

The People I Meet As I Walk Down The Street Say, "Hey! What's Your Name?"

Brace yourself. Time for The Dave Howard Singers, please. 
 
Over at Musk's swirling social media shitstorm, I've been motivated to join a thread running for the whole of May, posting personal favourite 12" singles from the 1980s. It's a bit of a fun and it has the benefit of getting some vinyl off the shelf and on the turntable.

As far as physical product is concerned, I only have the two 12" singles of Yon Yonson that The Dave Howard Singers released back in 1987. The original 12" version (together with an extended mix and an instrumental/bonus beats) is nonsense but an earworm. Teetering on the brink of being bloody annoying, I love it. I first heard it on TV, during the Indie Chart countdown on The Chart Show and Rob Jukes, whoever you are, thanks for uploading a VHS rip to YouTube.

The other 12", titled Yon Yonson Meets Dr. R-R-Ruth (Sex Sample Sequel) is if anything even more bonkers. The two remixes cut and paste sex therapist Dr. Ruth Westheimer, who was a well-known face (and voice) on TV at the time. It was hardly a VFM purchase at the time, I think it cost me a couple of quid for 12" vinyl with a total running time of under five and a half minutes. But I love it.
 
I've also got the 1987 compilation album Funky Alternatives Vol 2, a good collection as a whole but also featuring further variant Yon Yonson III, which doesn't stray too far from the original version.

Since then, I've managed to track down another couple of 12" singles on t'internet, What Do You Say To An Angel (1989) and All My Relatives Look The Same (1990) but seem to have missed a compilation of The Dave Howard Singers' early material which surfaced in 2006. 

There's a potted history of The Dave Howard Singers on Iffypedia and whilst the official website now appears to be completely devoid of content, the DHS Facebook page was detailing live activity up to summer 2019.

YouTube has a fair bit of DHS audio floatin about and I've managed to find a few videos to accompany Yon Yonson, which kicked off this post. 
 
So, without further ado, here's Dave's unique take on David Essex's Rock On, followed by B-side Nothing To Say, both from 1986. Next up is the aforementioned All My Relatives Look The Same from 1990. Finally, the oldest song and video on here is Intervals, which dates from 1983 and leads the 3-track cassette release, A Loan And Yawn.
 
Canada's not just Neil Young, you know.
 



7 comments:

  1. Ha! Thanks for the (obscure) memories - my 1st exposure to Dave H was via the Funky Alt LP. Purchased the https://www.discogs.com/master/1256965-The-Dave-Howard-Singers-Goodnight-Karl-Malden-EP on spec & glad I did. If you haven't heard 'Pleasure Of Pain' do yerself a favour - it is a grooving MONSTER of a track (& a shoe-in candidate for a long song Monday slot) that still gets the occasional run-out in this here manor . Forgot he did a cover of 'Rock On' tho...Cheers, (I say my name is ...) anwe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, anwe! Having checked out the link, I recall seeing the Goodnight Karl Malden 12" in the racks (probably) at Replay in the late 80s - that's where I picked up the Yon Yonson 12"s - but for some reason never buying that one.

      I got to hear Pleasure Of Pain, plus an earlier version from the Alone And Gone cassette on YouTube when writing this post. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1UafihnseA You're spot on, that 12" version is a grooving monster!

      Mixmaster Morris dropped by to retweet and reply to my original comment on Twitter to say that Yon Yonson Meets Dr. R-R-Ruth were the first pair of remixes that he'd ever had released, which I didn't know before yesterday. Every day is an education!

      Delete
    2. Not sure where I picked up the EP but most likely somewhere in Brizz! As for Mixmaster Morris, in another lifetime I shared a house in Camberwell with a very good mate of his just as Morris was becoming well knownl, (well better known in early ambient house circles let's say)., & would drag the rest of us flatmates to strange gigs around London.Vague memory of that Dr. Ruth mix will look online for a memory jolt! Happy Times!

      Delete
    3. I miss the days of being able to while away a few hours just browsing in record shops... twenty quid would always guarantee a sizeable haul of albums and 12" singles!

      Delete
  2. What your girlfriend threw out....
    https://mega.nz/file/oAZ0iJwb#MCfoycysupOo7vjiPI2QFMFWogUyuHpCyp3iGvee9ZA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.discogs.com/release/1520190-The-Dave-Howard-Singers-What-Your-Girlfriend-Threw-Out-Or-Your-Friend-Never-Returned

      Delete
    2. Wow, thanks very much Stevo, looking forward to a deep dive into this!

      Delete