Tuesday 9 May 2023

Headed Up To The Stratosphere 'Cause I Need Some Altitude

Take a trip to November 1988 and The Shamen vs Bam Bam with Transcendental.

The memory is a bit hazy but I recall reading about The Shamen's transition from psychedelic indie rock to acid house in the music press - I'd switch between NME, Sounds and Melody Maker so I'm not sure which - in particular a review of this 12" only single.
 
I'd liked what I'd heard of The Shamen's previous material. Christopher Mayhew Says got a slot in the indie countdown on ITV's The Chart Show back in 1987 and I rated Jesus Loves Amerika and Knature Of A Girl, so I was intrigued by this single, a collaboration with a US dance music producer that I'd never heard of.

I think it took a while to get the 12" single, probably early 1989 from Replay or Revolver in Bristol, but it blew my teenage mind. The A-side contained a 'short' version at roughly four and a half minutes. Pulsing, acidic beats with a lyrical edge.

Even better was the House Mix on the flip side, which extended the track to nearly nine minutes.

The version that eventually appeared on 1989's In Gorbachev We Trust was a slicker production that fit in well with the rest of the album but smoothed out the rough edges that I preferred on the original 12".
The duo of Colin Angus and Will Sinnott was The Shamen at their absolute best. 1989 mini-album Phorward would progress their vision, 1990's En-Tact would perfect it. Will's tragic death in May 1991 meant that the duo's exploration of possible worlds came to an untimely end.

Angus continued The Shamen with Richard West aka Mr. C and produced some great music - and achieved commercial success - but nothing that quite hit those earlier peaks.
 
 
Headed up to the stratosphere'Cause I need some altitudeTo clear my head in the higher windAnd change my point of viewNow I'm looking down on everythingAnd I'm looking down on you
 
Well I don't know but I understandYeah I don't know but I understand 
TranscendentalTransubstantiationReceptor activationTranscendentalTransubstantiationReceptor activation
 
I see the folly of your reasonThe chaos of your rulesThe madness of your institutionsAnd the wisdom of your foolsYeah I'm looking down on everythingAnd I'm looking down on you
 
Well I don't know but I understandYeah I don't know but I understand 
TranscendentalTransubstantiationReceptor activationTranscendentalTransubstantiationReceptor activation

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked the earlier stuff. I'll namedrop here but back in late 1986 I fell into a new social group in Aberdeen courtesy of a friend who lived in a lively house share. One of their number was Colin Angus who wasn't around for long as he was about to move to London to try and make things happen for his band. We all know what happened next. Everyone has such a story I'm sure but still weird to see someone from the real world make it big in music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Alyson, that's great! I always enjoyed reading interviews with The Shamen back in the day as Colin would usually drop in some cultural or political reference that was new to me and warranted further investigation. I definitely sought out and read Moksha by Aldous Huxley, his attempt to capture the experiences of self-administered psychedelics, after it had been referenced as a touchstone for Angus' writing and music.

      Delete