Saturday 6 May 2023

It Wasn't The First Time I Loved You

Celebrating Linda Lewis, 27th September 1950 to 3rd May 2023.

One of the most beautiful, sweet voices I've ever heard, news of her passing this week had me rummaging through my record collection only to find I have barely anything of her own music, something which I will be rectifying very soon. 
 
Skipping the possibly obvious choice of her appearance on David Bowie's Aladdin Sane, two other guest appearances stood out, both from the early 2000s. First up is Skint Records label head Damian Harris aka Midfield General with Reach Out, which samples Linda's 1972 song Reach For The Truth. Great video too.

The second is from the 2004 album Fosbury by French indie pop band Tahiti 80. Your Love Shines is tucked away on track 7 and really deserved to be a single, it's lovely.

Speaking of which, here's Linda performing her first hit single, Rock-a-Doodle-Doo, on Top Of The Pops in July 1973.
 
..and completely owning the Tim Rice & Andrew Lloyd Webber song, I'd Be Surprisingly Good For You, originally from the musical Evita. How did this version only get to #40 in the UK singles chart? Phillistines!

Last but not least, in 2015 Linda performed Light Years Away in Gilles Peterson's Brownswood Basement. First recorded in 1977, re-recorded in 1996, this version nearly four decades on from the original shows that at the age of 64 Linda's 5-octave vocal range sounded untouched by time.

Rest easy, Linda.

4 comments:

  1. Nice tribute. I've always been very fond of her cover of Family's 'My Friend The Sun': https://youtu.be/xnNTjcOGUgQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved her voice. A beautiful songbird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised (and a little ashamed) that I didn't own any of Linda's albums, I could have sworn I did. Making up for it now. Thanks for your comment, John

      Delete