Monday 1 May 2023

Phantoms I Could Later Chase

Side 2 of a Magazine compilation cassette, taped by my brother in September 1991.
 
I think the only Magazine album I owned at this time was Secondhand Daylight, which ironically makes up nearly half of this side, with a further two songs appearing on Side 1. I'd been familiar with their songs for several years though, as my older brother had first bought the After The Fact compilation on cassette, then the four studio albums plus live compilation Play on either tape or vinyl. 
 
I was fascinated by Howard Devoto's lyrics, unusual song titles and unique vocal phrasing. And the combination of heavy bass, virtuoso guitar, pounding percussion and swirling keyboards was undeniably attractive to this pre-teen. 
 
I'd been pressing my brother to do a Magazine mixtape for me for years and, judging by the date, it looks like he finally came good as a sort of homecoming gift as I returned from a year from Australia and back into full-time education (and living at home with my parents).
 
A couple of minor changes to versions included in this selection. Shot By Both Sides was originally the album version from Real Life, which cannot match the sheer energy of the 7" single so I've swapped them out. A Song From Under The Floorboards was the excellent live version from the album Play, though marred on the mixtape by a clumsy and premature manual fade out (sorry, bro!). I've gone for the studio version here.
 
Another characteristic of my sibling's selections was the loss of steam, especially in wrapping up side 2 of a compilation, and this was no exception. At the time, he mentioned that he'd stuck the final two songs on the end because the (undisclosed) songs he really wanted either wouldn't fit and he lost patience with it. For all that, I think both Burst and (the very apt) Stuck work very well in closing out this compilation.
 
It may be a while before Side 1 makes an appearance but, just to reassure you, both Real Life and The Correct Use Of Soap get more of a look in. Magic, Murder And The Weather was clearly less loved by Brother K and only gets one more song. I'll leave you to guess what that might be.

1) Feed The Enemy (Album Version) (1979)
2) Shot By Both Sides (Single Version) (1978)
3) Believe That I Understand (Album Version) (1979)
4) The Great Beautician In The Sky (Album Version) (1978)
5) I Wanted Your Heart (Album Version) (1979)
6) A Song From Under The Floorboards (Album Version) (1980)
7) The Great Man's Secrets (Album Version) (1981)
8) Cut-Out Shapes (Album Version) (1979)
9) Burst (Album Version) (1978)
10) Stuck (Album Version) (1980)

1978: Real Life: 4, 9
1978: Shot By Both Sides EP: 2
1979: Secondhand Daylight: 1, 3, 5, 8
1980: The Correct Use Of Soap: 6, 10
1981: Magic, Murder And The Weather: 7
 
Side Two (46:22) (KF) (Mega)

No comments:

Post a Comment