Tuesday 12 March 2024

Save Me From Tomorrow

Celebrating Karl Wallinger, 19th October 1957 to 10th March 2024.

I woke up to this terribly sad news. Faced with the choice of trying to articulate a few words of tribute and posting a video or two, or pulling together a personal selection, with some words (when I can find them) to follow in an update later on, I chose the latter.

So, here's forty three minutes and thirty seconds of World Party music. Come back later today for some more words and thoughts.

Rest in peace, Karl.
 
1) Nature Girl (1990)
2) When The Rainbow Comes (1990)
3) She's The One (Live) (2012)
4) S.E.X. (1990)
5) All You Need Is Love (Cover of The Beatles) (2006)
6) Kuwait City (2012)*
7) Ship Of Fools (Live @ Kilburn Empire, London) (1990) 
8) Vanity Fair (1997)
9) I'm So Tired (Cover of The Beatles) (1993)
10) Trouble Down Here (Edit) (1987)
11) Where Are You Going When You Go? (2012)*
 
1987: Ship Of Fools EP: 10
1990: Goodbye Jumbo: 2
1990: Message In The Box EP: 1 
1990: Way Down Now EP: 4
1993: previously unreleased: 5 9
1997: Vanity Fair EP: 8
2006: previously unreleased: 5
2012: Arkeology: 3, 6, 7, 11

* I've no idea when either of these were recorded, but Arkeology was released in 2012.

Save Me From Tomorrow (43:30) (KF) (Mega)



Some More Words And Thoughts (1.30pm GMT)
 
So the first thing I saw was Pete Paphides' tweet from last night. Nothing unusual in Pete picking a song from the archives and sharing it, although his closing thank you to Karl was a little unusual. 

 
But it quickly became clear from the comments that followed that Karl was gone. A few looks around and the tributes had been steadily pouring in overnight. Yet, the usually trusty BBC News website had nothing, right up to the point that I uploaded my post and Dubhed selection earlier this morning.

And then this. 

Note the second sentence: ",,,who also fronted solo project World Party...". 
 
So, the band that Karl formed and led for the best part of 4 decades, which released 5 albums, three of which went Top 40 and one Top 10 in the UK, not forgetting four Top 40 singles and a UK #1 courtesy of a cover version by Robbie Williams, merits little more than a "...who also..." in the opening summary? Much as I recognise The Whole Of The Moon by The Waterboys as a classic, for fuck's sake!

I didn't even know Karl was in The Waterboys at first because frankly I wasn't that bothered by them (or The Whole Of The Moon) at the time. My introduction to Karl was seeing the video for World Party's Private Revolution which had this cool-yet-geeky looking guy in Lennon frames and a shaven headed angel miming along to a retro-future pop song.

Then I heard Ship Of Fools and I was completely sold. I had a white label 12" of this single, though it bore no difference to the standard 12" other than it was missing the cool artwork and labels. But the music was fantastic and, in the flip side's cover of Nowhere Man, the first of a growing number of nods to The Beatles over the course of World Party's recordings. In Oct 2020, the brilliant Albums That Should Exist blog posted an imaginary compilation album (hey, that sounds familiar!) of Karl's takes on 10 Beatles songs. And very good it is too.

Karl's love of The Beatles was never far from the surface but it never felt like pastiche or parody. Although World Party songs were infused with the spirit of Lennon and McCartney, Karl's passion and prodigious talent as a songwriter in his own right always shone through. Other touchstones inevitably included Bob Dylan and The Beach Boys and Kuwait City, Karl's social commentary as surf classic, is jaw-droppingly brilliant.

Which leads to Arkeology, released in 2012. Having taken an enforced break for 5 years due to a brain aneurysm, World Party's run of albums had effectively ground to a halt with Dumbing Up in 2000. Karl was able to resume touring from 2006 but there were sadly to be no more albums of new recordings.

However, Arkeology (subtitled "Diary & Music Collection") was a mammoth 5CD collection housed in a beautiful, ring-bound "any year" diary and containing 70 tracks. Some were previously released on B-sides, some were live versions and covers, many, many had never seen the light of day up to that point. Several examples are included in today's selection.

I was on the fly this morning, wanting to pull together some personal favourites and limited by time to make some very quick choices. That said, I'm very happy with the end result though if I was doing the same tomorrow I would probably come up with an entirely different selection, including Is It Like Today? or World Groove (Do The Mind Guerrilla) for example.

In other words, I felt that the BBC news report - and many others, to be honest - fell far short of capturing just how many hundreds of great songs Karl had written in his lifetime. Not just a few. Hundreds.

Quite the legacy. And from the tributes paid, a wonderfully rich, complex and entertaining human being, to boot.

Bon voyage, Karl.

10 comments:

  1. Awful news. My obituary tracker missed this one. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I may be tempting fate by posting an entire week's worth of birthday celebrations, but this was a shock.

      Delete
  2. Sad news indeed. Is It Like Today? getting played at Amusements Towers right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martin. As I mentioned above, the number of great World Party songs goes into three figures but Is It Like Today? is an absolute cracker. I should probably have squeezed it on...

      Delete
  3. Lovely tribute. My mate John in Sydney have been reminiscing about seeing World Party in the early 90's at the Victoria Rooms in Bristol; the only time i remember seeing a gig in that venue. I remembered microphones hanging from the ceiling and we thought it might be recorded for a live gig to be put out. However our Geordie friend Heidi kept on bellowing up into the mics at every opportunity including the 'whoo whoo' bits in 'Way Down Now'. Just glad I saw them at all really..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. Blimey, the Vic Rooms! I have been there though I can't recall if I've seen a music gig. I might not have been in Bristol at the time but what a memorable gig and venue, Geordie 'whoo whoo's and all!

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't trust the BBC for my newsfeed, that's for sure.

    Karl Wallinger was that rare thing - a songwriters songwriter. His peers loved him. His fans loved him. He had so much more to give. Let's hope there's a shedload of demos sitting in his studio somewhere waiting to be discovered. And then, maybe, give them to someone like Thomas Walsh or even Ron Sexsmith who would know exactly what to do with them.

    Thanks, K. I think you found just the right tone today.

    JM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. I really only use BBC for the weather forecast before setting out on my cross-county work commutes, as it's surprisingly spot on.

      I get the 'Entertainment & Arts' updates and, given some of the obits that have appeared in record time, I'm disappointed that Karl didn't feature sooner and more prominently.

      And thanks for sharing the link to your 50 Odd Gigs post from 2014, which was before I'd discovered your brilliant blog. World Party deservedly in there but what a fantastic list in general. And that was 10 years ago!

      http://www.johnmedd.com/2014/01/50-odd-gigs.html

      Delete
  5. NOOOO! Thank the gods for the internet because I probably would have never heard of this passing of one of the greats.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad news indeed, Dalebanon, Karl will be greatly missed.

      Delete