Friday 8 March 2024

#InspireInclusion

Celebrating International Women's Day and Carole Bayer Sager, who is marking 80 years on this planet, most of which have been spent providing us with wonderful songs.
 
For obvious reasons, I'm going to skip her marriage to Burt Bacharach and unforgettable hits like A Groovy Kind Of Love, When I Need You and Arthur's Theme and dozens of other global smashes that she has written and produced. Instead, six selections from iconic women, including herself.
 
For obvious reasons, today's post is for Mrs. K and Lady K. 

I'd also like to dedicate it to Alyson and C. I was late to discovering What's It All About? and Sun Dried Sparrows in the musical blogosphere and both have been an inspiration on so many levels since. Thank you!
 
Heartbreaker: Dolly Parton (1978)
Nobody Does It Better: Carly Simon (1977)
Break It To Me Gently: Aretha Franklin (1977)
Need A Little Faith: Patti LaBelle (1989)
One Hello: Randy Crawford (1982)
I'd Rather Leave While I'm In Love: Carole Bayer Sager (1977)
 
 
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. So pack your toys away
    Your pretty boys away
    Your 45's away
    Your alibis away
    Your Spanish flies away
    Your one-more-tries away
    Your old tie-dyes away
    You're moving out today

    I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you were giving me my blogging P45 for a moment there, Rol...

      Carole really is a brilliant songwriter, isn't she?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Rol, I presume? I haven't shaved in 48 hours, so I'm positively grizzled!

      Delete
  3. Ah, Khayem, thank you so much for the mention and kind words! Although Alyson and I may be a little outnumbered by our lovely male blogging counterparts here, I'm sure I can speak for both of us in saying that this corner of the 'sphere feels totally inclusive and unbiased, and I'm glad to have found you too.

    And Carole Bayer Sager, 80?! Bloody hell, where did that time go? Like Rol, first thoughts which came to mind were vivid memories of 'You're Moving Out Today' and it didn't seem that long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, C. I wasn't aware of Carole's solo work until much, much later. As much as I hate to admit it, I think I may have first become aware of her name via P*** C***ins' cover of A Groovy Kind Of Love, then I started to realise quite how many classic songs she'd had a hand in.

      Delete