Monday 11 March 2024

#Colours Top 20 (Second Shade)

The second half of the (E)x-Twitter 'countdown' that I've participated in for the past 20 days, featuring songs, artists or lyrics featuring a colour.

As with the first ten, I've stuck with just song titles throughout, with my second round up coming in at one second under 40 minutes.
 
I also continued with my 'method' (I use the term loosely) of trying to make sure that the subsequent colour complemented the one that had preceded it. This limiting my choice of songs each time but hopefully provided for some interesting segues from, say, Cathal Coughlan to Peaches
 
I only did one swap throughout the entire run. My original pick for #17 was Coral Moon by John Cale from his 1973 album, Helen Of Troy. Realising that the pick would coincide with International Women's Day, I replaced it with A Coral Room by Kate Bush, which on reflection I think was a better choice and made for a good segue from Echo & The Bunnymen.
 
This late change also meant that I was able to find another (complementary) John Cale song and tweet it on the following day, which also happened to be his 82nd birthday. Win win, I'd say.
 
The final song of the 20 wouldn't have appeared at all had it not been for Ernie Goggins' end of year round up over at 27 Leggies back in December 2022, a reminder of how much music I discover thanks to you lovely people out there in the blogosphere. And in my opinion, it's a great way to wrap up what has been a fun series to participate in.
 
11) Into The White (Single Version): Pixies (1989)
12) Lime Tree Arbour (Album Version): Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (1997)
13) Tangerine: Cathal Coughlan (2022)
14) I Feel Cream (Album Version): Peaches (2009)
15) Silverblade (Single Version): The Jesus & Mary Chain (1990)
16) Turquoise Days: Echo & The Bunnymen (1981)
17) A Coral Room: Kate Bush (2005)
18) Bamboo Floor ("Slow Dazzle" Session Outtake): John Cale (1975)
19) Olive Avenue: Port Sulphur ft. Jay Stansfield (2018)
20) Golden Spoon Maroon: Yasus Afari (2021) 
 
1981: Heaven Up Here: 6
1989: Here Comes Your Man EP: 1 
1990: Rollercoaster EP: 5 
1996: The Island Years: 8
1997: The Boatman's Call: 2
2005: Aerial: 7
2009: I Feel Cream: 4 
2018: Paranoic Critical: 9
2022: E.P. Of Co-Aklan EP: 3
2022: Golden Spoon Maroon: 10
 
Second Shade (39:59) (KF) (Mega)

4 comments:

  1. I don't wish to seem picky, particularly after your kind words, but is bamboo a colour? The song itself is an adornment to any mix of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CC nailed it, Ernie, as I invoked the Dulux Palette rule, meaning that if there's a paint, it's in! Though calling their product "Twisted Bamboo" raised more questions than it answered.

      The same rule also allowed the Pixies' entry, as I am reliably informed that, as with several of my choices across the Top 20, white is a shade not a colour.

      Delete
  2. No doubt there will be a paint shade called Bamboo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on, CC. I just hope that I haven't subliminally influenced your choice, should you be considering a fresh lick of paint for the music room.

      Delete