Sunday 31 March 2024

Happening

Strange Things Are Happening, Richard Norris' memoir of a frankly incredible life, dropped through my letterbox last weekend. I ordered it back in October 2023 so to say that I have been eagerly awaiting it's arrival is an understatement. 

I ordered the book via Heavenly so not only is it signed by Richard, there's a bonus CD featuring "Mixes and Collaborations 1988-2023". Of the 14 tracks, half are completely new to me, but when the ones I already own include remixes of Floatation by The Grid, Roscoe by Midlake, Disco/Very by Warpaint and Willow's Song by Katy J Pearson, then it's wonderful to have them all together on one shiny disc.

I've not started reading Strange Things Are Happening yet, as I'm (now hurriedly) trying to finish another book that I'd not long started but I'd still have no hesitation in recommending it. Given the sheer breadth and depth of Richard's contribution to music, which has been ever present for more than two thirds of my life, I am looking forward to experiencing those moments through his eyes, memories and words. 

I've tried a few times before to present Richard's music via a Dubhed selection, whether Beyond The Wizards Sleeve, The Grid or an attempt to encapsulate his wider work. An impossible task really but nature loves a trier so I've had another go.

This time, it's a mammoth 22 tracks, clocking in at exactly one hour and forty five minutes. In respect of sequencing and segueways, it's an absolute mess: if you've come here for amateurish crossfades, jarring edits and incongruous tracklist partners, then you've come to the right place. If I tried this in person in a public place, I'd be out on the pavement, my hard drive bouncing off my skull as the proprietor lobbed it after me.

However, focus past my ham-fisted attempts at mixing and marvel at the ambition and creativity of the artist at the heart of it all. Whether his own compositions, partnerships with Dave Ball, Erol Alkan, Finnur Bjarnason or more recently with Rachel Thomas and Stuart Carter as The Order Of The 12, Richard has the uncanny knack of tapping into something special. This transcends genres, hitting the sweet spot whether aimed at  club, dub or ambient heads, to name but a few.

Many of these are significantly edited - the original version of Ultramarine is twenty minutes long - but all are worth tracking down in digital or physical formats. A good starting point is Richard's Bandcamp page. I've been a subscriber for over a year and it's worth every penny.
 
1) Couldn't Do (The Time & Space Machine Remix By Richard Norris): Cheval Sombre (2014) 
2) Promises (Beyond The Wizard's Sleeve Reanimation By Richard Norris & Erol Alkan): Badly Drawn Boy (2007) 
3) Winter In June: Beyond The Wizards Sleeve ft. Percy Thrower (2007)
4) 10 Killer Hurtz More (Remix By Little Annie, Richard Norris & Skip McDonald): Little Annie (1994)
5) Texas Cowboys (Low Plains Prankster Mix By Justin Robertson): The Grid (1993)
6) Ultramarine (Edit): Richard Norris (2023)
7) April (Edit): Richard Norris (2021)
8) Ghost Dance: Richard Norris (2021)
9) This Too Shall Pass Away (Album Version By The Grid): World Of Twist (1991)
10) Morning Velvet Sky (Richard Norris Dub): Gulp (2018)
11) Meet Every Situation Head On (DJ Jackmaster Tab Fitness Mix By Richard Norris): M.E.S.H. (1988)
12) I Love I Hate (Lakeside Mix By The Grid): Neil Arthur (1994)
13) Pagan Dub (Edit): Richard Norris (2024)
14) Inner Communication Dub (Edit): Richard Norris (2024)
15) Find Yourself (Richard Norris Remix): Jacco Gardner (2015)
16) Lundi Bleu (The Grid 'Praise The Lord' Mix By Dave Ball & Richard Norris) (Cover of 'Blue Monday' by New Order): The Times (1992)
17) House Of Love (Single Version By The Grid): Billie Ray Martin (1993)
18) Abide With Me (Holy Dub - Remix By The Grid) (Cover of traditional song): Vic Reeves (1991)
19) Finally (The Time & Space Machine Re-Edit By Richard Norris) (Cover of Ce Ce Peniston): Cherry Ghost (2010) 
20) Somewhere Nearly Gone: The Order Of The 12 (2022)
21) Before Tomorrow (Richard Norris' Avalon Remix): Hollow Hand ft. Tim Smith (2023)
22) Hotel Du Lac 66º N2 (Edit): The Long Now (2018)
 
1988: Meet Every Situation Head On EP: 11 
1991: Abide With Me EP: 18
1991: Quality Street: 9 
1992: Lundi Bleu EP: 16
1993: 4 Ambient Tales EP: 17
1993: Texas Cowboys EP: 5 
1994: I Love I Hate EP: 12
1994: In Dread With Little Annie EP: 4
2007: Promises EP: 2
2007: West EP: 3 
2010: We Sleep On Stones EP: 19
2014: Couldn't Do EP: 1
2015: Find Yourself EP: 15
2018: Morning Velvet Sky EP: 10 
2018: Restoration EP: 22
2021: Music For Healing: January-December: 7
2021: Music For Soundtracks, Vol. 1: 8 
2022: Lore Of The Land: 20
2023: Before Tomorrow EP: 21
2023: Music For Healing: Colours: 6 
2024: Oracle Sound Volume Two: 13
2024: Oracle Sound Volume 3: Dub In Progress: 14
 
Happening (1:45:00) (KF) (Mega)

For your further listening pleasure:

6 comments:

  1. Wow, thank you. Great selection and most of these are new to me. I also wasn't aware of this book, so I'll head out and grab a copy soon. I understand the daunting task of compiling the works by Richard Norris and you've done quite well here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mooz. I'm really looking forward to reading the book. The CD is superb, as you can imagine.

      Delete
  2. Great stuff Khayem. Richard's music runs through my record collection like the proverbial stick of rock but with the words psychedelic acid house instead of Blackpool. My copy of the book hasn't arrived yet- eagerly awaiting it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Adam, mine too. The number of times I've impulse purchased music by bands I'd never heard of because Richard's name appeared in the credits. Never once regretted it.

      Delete
  3. This is ace. I recently subscribed to his bandcamp. Tempted to get the book with bonus CD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, blureu. I started subscribing following Swiss Adam's recommendation and it's been worth every penny, without doubt.

      Delete