Monday 1 April 2024

Eggsistential Crisis

Only 15 years after their debut album, I've finally 'discovered' The Lovely Eggs.
 
Memory Man is the second taster for forthcoming seventh album, Eggsistentialism. And very good it is too.

 
Previous single My Mood Wave is also an enjoyable slice of Spector-ish scuzzy melodic pop, which bodes well for the album itself.

  
In fact, I'll be going back to do a deep dive into their back catalogue. The Lovely Eggs certainly seem to have a thing with song titles, choice picks including 
 
I Don't Fucking Know What I'm Gunna Do
Insect Repellent
Wiggy Giggy
I Nearly Saw A Stabbing Last Night
Don't Patent That Shoe
People Are Twats
Have You Ever Heard A Digital Accordion?
Does It Hurt To Lose The Will To Live?
 
The Lovely Eggs kick off a UK tour in hometown Lancaster on 10th May, winding up in Manchester in 1st June. Although my gig calendar's already looking pretty solid for May I was tempted to see them in Bristol even though it's a work day gig. However, it's one of two stops (the other being Leeds) that's already sold out. Maybe next time.
 
Eggsistentialism is out on 17th May and available from all the usual places.

2 comments:

  1. "Don't Look At Me (I Don't Like It)" has the bonus of John Shuttleworth (at least in the video): https://youtu.be/2uuMy2ZN7A8?si=VmH_natz--9wxQs1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them even more for that. Thanks, Ernie!

      Delete