Monday 8 April 2024

Warped, Wrapped, Warble, Wobble

I don't remember exactly how I found Red Cloud by Marina Allen (apologies and thank you if it was one of the music blogging community) but I'm very glad I did.

It's right up my strasse, not a million miles away from Weyes Blood musically speaking and even closer in reality as they're both residents of Los Angeles. There's a sun-kissed warmth and nostalgic light that shines on both, Marina's voice has a similar rich, deep quality and their respective influences likely intersect at many points.

There's much to love about Red Cloud - great video, too - which took me back to Bandcamp and the discovery that Red Cloud is preceding what is in fact Marina's third album, Eight Pointed Star, out on 7th June.

Here are a couple of songs from Marina's previous albums, Centrifics (2022) and Candlepower (2021).
 
 
 
 
I was so engrossed in writing my review of the Flightpath Estate compilation that I completely missed the window for Bandcamp Friday this month, so Marina's album(s) have been added to the shopping list for a future trip...

 
Sadly, just one UK date in 2024 to promote the album, on Friday 21st June at The Slaughtered Lamb in The Big Smoke so I won't be there, but I'm looking forward to getting to know Marina's music better.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip-off. I will check out the album, and possibly the gig too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ernie, would love to hear what you think especially if you make it to the gig.

      Delete
  2. Yes, thanks for the tip. This is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mooz, you've pointed to some great music that I've never heard, so I'm pleased to return the favour.

      Delete