Thursday 4 April 2024

Another Day Without Sleep

GusGus released a new single, Breaking Down, last Tuesday (26th). Featuring vocals from former members Earth (aka Urður Hákonardóttir) & Högni (Egilsson), the second release from their 12th album, DanceOrama, which came out in mid-January.
 
Breaking Down was preceded by Unfinished Symphony in November 2023, both furnished with wonderful videos illustrated by Atli Sigursveinsson and animated by Logi Sigursveinsson (they're brothers, in case you were wondering).

I was borderline obsessed with GusGus at the time of their two albums on 4AD in the late 1990s and retained a keen interest up to the release of Arabian Horse in 2011 but I'll confess that I haven't kept pace with most of their subsequent releases, DanceOrama included.

GusGus is currently a core trio of founders Daníel Ágúst (Haraldsson) and Biggi Veira (aka Birgir Þórarinsson) with Margrét Rán Magnusdóttir, who has been on board since 2021 whilst continuing as a founding member of Vök.
 
DanceOrama has 8 tracks on the vinyl edition, 9 and a rejigged song order if you go for CD or digital formats. Apart from the opening song, side 1 is vocal, side 2 is instrumental; 5 come in at under 5 minutes making for a brisk listening experience.
 
 
I really like the two singles and, on a couple of listens so far, the vocal side edges it for me but I've not been compelled to add it to my list just yet. Maybe a few more plays...

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the awareness of this one. I've not heard GusGus in probably 15 years. Glad they're still putting out new works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've talked about them before. I just love the noise they make.

    JM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. That was an epic fail on my part, I completely forgot to follow up on that comment and buy the album!

      Delete