Friday 12 April 2024

Triptych

I couldn't decide which to post, so here's three new(ish) singles and videos from Arab Strap, Depeche Mode and Beth Gibbons all at once.
 
First up, it's Aidan Moffat, Malcolm Middleton and gang with Strawberry Moon from the upcoming - and brilliantly titled - album I'm totally fine with it 👍don't give a fuck anymore Vampires, werewolves, Aidan as a priest on a mobility scooter with "I 💔 Jesus" bumper sticker...my favourite video of the three. Sadly, another band that I will have to miss live this time around due to the embarrassment of pre-festival gigs landing locally during May but I'm looking forward to hearing the album when it's released on 10th May.
 
Unless I blinked and missed it, no sign of Dave Gahan and Martin Gore in the video for Depeche Mode's People Are Good, the umpteenth single from last year's Memento Mori album, which I still haven't bought...call myself a fan?! Anton Corbijn is credited as creative director and the video itself is directed by Rich Hall, not the taciturn American polymath but a London based creator working with Riff Riff Films. All the Corbijn characteristics are there, but it's an interesting, narrative-based departure from the Mode videos I'm more familiar with. The song's pretty good too, though I'm less excited by the slew of remixes accompanying the single release.
 
Finally, and the newest of the lot, is a second preview of Beth Gbbons' solo album with Reaching Out. This is least engaging video for me, reminiscent (possibly intentionally) of the visuals that the Future Sound Of London and the like were producing 30-odd years ago. There is an interactive version too, which didn't do a lot for me either to be honest. However, the music and Beth's voice are just breathtaking. I'd love to see the movie that this is the theme song to.

Beth's album, Lives Outgrown, is out on 17th May. That's 36 days if, like me, you're counting.

6 comments:

  1. Before watching the videos I thought i would like Beth the most and Arab Strap the least with DM in the middle. Turns out that it was t'other way round - really liked the Arab Strap song whereas Beth's song not as good as the first off the album.. hey ho! (You are right - that video for B Gibbons is a shocker..)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. I think the added thrill of Beth's song is that Lee Harris (Talk Talk) is all over it, thirty years after she provided vocals for a few songs by .O.Rang (Lee & Paul Webb's post-TT venture). I really must do a post on .O.Rang sometime!

      Delete
  2. All good stuff. I've had the previous Arab Strap single, Allatonceness, going round in my head on a walking playlist for the past few weeks. Like all the best Arab Strap songs, it's faintly disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rol. Somehow I missed Allatonceness when it was released and only heard it for the first time on the back of seeing Strawberry Moon.

      Delete
  3. Why not come to Glasgow in September and see Arab Strap at the Barrowlands? It's a Saturday night gig............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, now there's a thought....! I did go so far as to check out the date, JC.

      As it currently stands, I'm provisionally pencilled in for The Go! Team in Bristol on the same night and I already have tickets for Marc Almond a couple of nights before, so I don't think it's going to happen this time. Very tempting, though!

      Delete