Friday 19 April 2024

Tryna' Keep Cool

Today I'm in the mood for rap, rhymes and beats. Spanning 1986 to 2023, ten blistering tracks covering old school greats, stone cold classics, genre-mashing, effing and jeffing and a chunk of words and music that I've only discovered in the last few years. And enough spare tape on the C90 to add your own favourites to the mixtape.
 
1) I Don't Know Nothin 'Bout Daisies: Definition Of Sound (1991)
2) Dedicated To The City (Album Version): Subsonic 2 (1991)
3) Moment Of Clarity: Jay-Z (2003)
4) Summer Nights: Statik ft. Tom Paddington, Ears & Scorcher (2007)
5) GOB (David Andrew Sitek Remix): Dels ft. Jack Davey (2011)
6) Bite Back: Algiers ft. Billy Woods & Backxwash (2023)
7) Kids...: A Tribe Called Quest ft. André 3000 (2016)
8) Rollin Stone (Live @ Mary Anne Hobbs, BBC 6Music): Little Simz (2021)
9) Paul Revere (Vocal) (Remix By Rick Rubin): Beastie Boys (1986)
10) Brain Washed Follower (Single Version): De La Soul (1989)

1986: It's The New Style EP: 9
1989: Me Myself And I EP: 10
1991: Include Me Out: 2
1991: Wear Your Love Like Heaven EP: 1
2003: The Black Album: 3
2007: Love Music, Hate Racism (NME promo CD+MP3): 4
2011: GOB EP: 5
2016: We Got It From Here... Thank You 4 Your Service: 7
2021: Live, Mary Anne Hobbs, BBC 6Music, 15 June 2021: 8
2023: Shook: 6

Tryna' Keep Cool (38:00) (KF) (Mega)


Rollin Stone (BBC6 'Clean' Version) by Little Simz


I was in São PauloEatin' palm hearts and I couldn't believe my surroundings (no)True, I got the Ends in me, listenin' to HeadieGettin' gassed in the mountains (yeah)No time for the thirst trap, I'm quenchedI drink from a different fountain (sip)Hard food when I serve thatAll these likkle fish get fried and your yam get pounded (pounded yam)
 
Mm, might be a brat for a bit 
Want my farm and I want my chicksWant my suit tailored by GucciFirst-class to Shibuya for the sushiGive me my cheques and give me my plaquesWant breakdowns and I want my stats, pronto (now, now)
 Yеah, yeah, God flowMake you wanna dance all day likе Alfonso (move your body)Wanna talk about P's, wanna talk about wage, 
but can you do the job though? (can you?)I can't vouch for a man that ain't got the talent and business combo (no)It's all a sport, flow on archery, don't get hit with the crossbow
 
Stayed to myself, been true to the core (stay to myself, man, I stay to myself)I was always the illest, there's never been no cure (no medication)Callin' shots like I call in favours, facts (true)My fellas got me if I ever need that
Still, there's things I'm faced withStormz' ain't lyin', man, these fools audacious (yeah)Might demonstrate frustrationTryna' keep cool, but I'm losin' patience (ayy)Hmm, no cap, we hate snakes and we hate ratsYou can have opinions, just don't mislead the youth in your raps 
(please, please, please, please, please)
 
Mummy handled business, Papa was a rollin' stoneI'm a mix of both, there ain't no snitch-boy in my bonesComing for this dough like say it's pizzaYou can't get in Italia, Fashion Week, huhShut down Milan down to Rome
Lookin' like the future, got you fearin' the unknownI got stories regardin' your chick I won't disclosePicture perfect, nothing picture perfect here, I knowAll illusion, why the world confusing? I don't know
You can't diss me three-time, pull up behind, you'll never see II'm probably the reason why your bosses has had to resignThey all follow my step, read about me like I'm EliI just book a flight only to land and have some me-timeLet me be, I'm (let me be, I'm)Takin' time out, hold my spot, go through your time now (hey)
 
Huh, pull up at your spot, they're throwin' roses at my feet, yeah, yeahWhat do you mean? In the presence of a queenBad, say that she wanna know what's underneathI could show you things in private, know I hate to cause a scene, yeah
Range black just to match the colour of my skinLast year, pen was crazy, this year tougher with the ink (yeah)Know the people miss me, they like, "Where the hell you been?" (yeah)Counted all my losses, manifested all my wins (yeah)
Can't believe it's Simbi here that's had you listenin'Well, that chick for now, you didn't know she had a twin (yeah)I've been in my zone, movin' lowkey in Berlin, ahYou can get the smoke, yeah yeah, das ist kein Problem, ahWhere do I begin? ahYou might just find out real soon, go through your time now
 
Rollin' stoneRollin' stoneRollin' stoneRollin' stone

No comments:

Post a Comment