Tuesday 2 April 2024

Name After Name After Name

Celebrating Chris Cross aka Chris St. John aka Christopher Thomas Allen, 14th July 1952 to 25th March 2024.
 
The news broke yesterday (1st) on a day full of pranks and hoaxes but this one was sadly true. I've picked four Ultravox clips (five songs) that showcase Chris's talent...and lustrous locks. 

Oh, and I’ve twigged that none of the thumbnail images actually feature Chris.
 
Although my introduction to the band was with the ubiquitous Vienna single and album, I also became a big fan of the earlier exclamatory version led by John Foxx. So, starting off, here's a great clip from the Old Grey Whistle Test in December 1978 (also featuring Annie Nightingale RIP) of Ultravox! performing Slow Motion and Hiroshima, Mon Amour.
 
A little over a year and a half later, Midge Ure was established at the front, Vienna was a smash hit and the band had returned from a US tour to travel around the UK. Here's one of my favourites - Sleepwalk - from their gig at St. Albans City Hall in August 1980.
 
 
It's fair to say that the biggest gig of Chris' career would have been nearly 5 years later, on stage with Ultravox at Wembley Stadium for Live Aid. There are good quality clips of all of the songs they performed that day, including a couple where Chris straps on his bass and comes to the front. 
 
However, I've gone for Dancing With Tears In My Eyes as there's a wonderful bit at 2:46 where Chris is clearly in a moment of sheer joy, the enormity of this moment in time truly landing.
 
I had hoped to include a final live clip from the Ultravox reunion tours in 2012 and 2013 but Chris is either shrouded in darkness or completely out of shot. So, I've plumped for the video for Love's Greatest Adventure. It's not dated well, but Chris has a star turn and it's a far cry from the film noir seriousness of Vienna. 

 
Rest in peace, Chris.

10 comments:

  1. Good tribute. Midge Ure has posted that Chris was the glue that kept the band together and that makes a lot of sense. Been listening to Lament (the album) a lot recently and Chris's bass playing is excellent throughout but stands out on the B side tracks as exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. I haven't listened to Lament in a long while, I must dust it off (virtually at least, I only have a digital copy now) for a replay.

      Delete
  2. Another sad loss. I'd forgotten what a great tune Love's Great Adventure is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it? A far cry from Vienna but all the better for it and lots of fun.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for finding the OGWT clips, been on constant rotation, I'd forgotten how powerful the guitar was in early Ultravox!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, middle aged man! Yes, I love both incarnations of the band but that OGWT clip really hits the spot.

      Delete
  4. We're losing a lot of people who were born in the early '50s. Makes you think.

    Enjoyed that last clip - they really did make mini-movies back then didn't they.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alyson. I think my week-long run of birthday posts was an effort to maintain the balance, but I wasn't expecting quite so many posthumous tributes so early into 2024...

      And yes, I think there's a been a bit more of a return to narratively engaging videos in recent years but the 80s with MTV and the beginning of ludicrous budgets was quite a treat. I remember this one being premiered on TOTP and being tickled by Midge stopping for a breather midway through!

      Delete
  5. I had a lot on last week and completely missed this sad news. It's a really lovely and articulate tribute.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JC, and sadly not the only posthumous tribute I had to post last week...

      Delete