Tuesday 16 April 2024

Doesn't It Just Make You Want To Cry?

Driving home late from what felt like a particularly long day at work, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci shuffled onto the stereo. 
 
In my mind it happened simultaneously though I know that it didn't really, but I saw a beautiful rainbow against the deep grey sky to my left, so sharply defined that I could see the rainbow's end dropping into the green field behind a row of houses. I was tempted to stop and take a photo but I drove on, knowing that I'd never adequately capture the beauty of that moment. 
 
Listening to Gorky's Zygotic Mynci frequently provokes the same feeling, of experiencing something beautiful yet fleeting, seemingly tangible yet ephemeral. 
 
Whilst I'd been listening to Hush The Warmth on the way home, for today's post I've gone for Stood On Gold, a single from their 2001 album How I Long To Feel That Summer In My Heart. Richard James assumes songwriting and lead vocal duties for this one and it's so beautiful it makes my heart ache.
 
Trawling my collection, I've realised that whilst I've got a fair few Gorky's Zygotic Mynci songs, they're all from compilations, cover mounted CDs, singles and the like. In fact, I don't own any of their studio albums.
 
I've found that How I Long To Feel That Summer In My Heart is available on Bandcamp, along with preceding albums The Blue Trees (2000) and Spanish Dance Troupe (1999). Added to the shopping list!


Have you seen her smile? Doesn't it just make you want to cry?And inside it's breaking me for you someday.
 
In her eyesI've seen a life that's went beforeBut those past tearsDon't matter much when we're alone
 
We were stood on goldJust weren't toldWe grow old
 
All in timeAnd all in time I've seen beforeI just can't hold herAnd now I know her deep black eyes
 
I need your sweet, sweet loveI need it in my heartI know I've takenAnd to give to you I can find so hard
 
We were stood on goldJust weren't toldWe grow old
 
And now I realize you've gone awayI'm hoping you'll come back to me somedayA light's been shining on for youThis light's been shining on for you
 
Ooh, ooh, ooh,Ooh, ooh, ooh

4 comments:

  1. Lovely bit of writing at the top there, K. Spanish Dance Troupe is a particularly good record, if I remember rightly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rol! My budget next month will probably only stretch to one, but I am keen to try Spanish Dance Troupe and the others. I generally have a long shopping list and I don't think I've ever seen a Gorky's album in a charity shop...though Charity Chic may have ventured south and snapped them up, of course!

      Delete
  2. Just a wee heads up that a Gorky's ICA is due up soon........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any day with an ICA in it is a good day, JC, but that promises to be an especially good day!

      Delete