Wednesday 3 April 2024

Overload

Happy birthday to Jamie Hewlett, born 3rd April 1968.
 
As an 80s teen, my first exposure to Jamie's work was with Tank Girl, co-created with Alan Martin and debuted in Deadline magazine in 1988. It was a fantastically anarchic and visually stunning comic strip and if that had been the only work that Jamie was known for, that would be plenty good enough.
 
There was an inevitable move into music via record sleeve artwork and my memories of Senseless Things in particular inextricably link the visuals with the music. 
 
And then Jamie teamed up with Damon Albarn for Gorillaz. 'Nuff said.
 
Stylo is one of my favourite songs and videos of theirs.

I've only just discovered that there was another version of the video, with commentary by Gorillaz bass player Murdoc (aka Phil Cornwell).

And here's Stylo performed on Later...With Jools Holland in 2010. I can't spot Jamie, though he may well be sat at one of the tables, stage left, waiting for Jool's inevitably inane small talk between songs. But just contemplate for a second that gathering on stage: Damon Albarn, Mos Def, Bobby Womack, Mick Jones and Paul Simonon. Phenomenal.

None of that may have happened had Jamie not interviewed Blur for Deadline magazine back in 1990. Jamie is quoted as thinking at the time that Albarn was a bit of a wanker but they went on to share a flat in 1997 and shortly after, the seeds for Gorillaz were planted and history was made. Wow.
 
Have a good one, Jamie!

2 comments:

  1. Hadn't seen that live clip before. Wow!!!!!!!!

    After-show party must have been a belter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I sporadically dipped in and out of the show...and not at all these days, as I never know when it's on, it doesn't seem to stay on iPlayer for long and I often end up skipping the vast majority of it for one, maybe two acts that capture my interest.

      I missed this one completely first time around and only discovered it years later on t'internet. I would have been whooping at the screen if I'd caught it at the time of transmission though!

      Delete