Saturday 9 March 2024

John Martin

Apologies to all those John Martyn fans hovering over their keyboards, poised to point out my typo. Of course, I'm talking about John Cale and Martin Fry, both celebrating their birthday today.
 
This is the third time I've celebrated John Cale's birthday, starting with his 80th in 2022 and then belatedly last year. First time for Martin, though he (and ABC) have been regulars here, most recently with a Dubhed selection in January.

Whilst John will be blowing out 82 candles today, Martin will be taking a deep breath to tackle 66. Between them, they have been responsible for some of the greatest music of the 20th and 21st centuries. Not bad for a couple of lads out of Garnant and Stockport respectively.
 
I had the very great honour of seeing John Cale live in concert last August. I've not (yet) seen ABC, though I know a man who has and I see that Martin is back on the road with an intimate night of music and conversation later this year.
 
To celebrate, rather than the usual format of six videos, I've picked one for each gent and refreshed the two Dubhed selections that I've previously posted for each, with links at the bottom of this page.
 
The first video is Pretty People, posted just over a month ago, and one of the two tracks exclusively available on a bonus 7" with the double vinyl of Mercy, John Cale's most recent album.
 
The second is an archive clip of ABC on TopPop, Netherlands music TV show and favourite here since I discovered it on YouTube. Dating from May 1987, not only does Martin perform When Smokey Sings, but he also gets to meet Smokey Robinson for the first time in a linking segment. 
 
It's a delightfully awkward moment and the presenter sticks with an understandably fazed and nervous Martin whilst Smokey pops off for a remarkably swift costume change and performance of his own song, Just To See Her. A lovely 10 minutes.
 
Many happy returns, John and Martin!

 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant.
    Martin Fry totally gobsmacked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, isn't it? One of the few reasons why I love YouTube, I would never have seen this otherwise!

      Delete
  2. Excellent awkward conversation between Martin and Smokey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm assuming they had separate dressing rooms backstage, as Martin looked genuinely surprised! Mind you, judging by how swiftly Smokie managed a complete costume change en route to the stage, he clearly doesn't need a room!

      Delete