I may have heard them prior to that, but Killing Joke made an indelible impression on my teen brain with Love Like Blood, Eighties and the Night Time album as a whole.
I've stuck with them, albeit fairly loosely, over the years, picking up the occasional album and catching up with their early 1980s material. I've also been a huge fan of their forays into remixes and dub soundscapes, guided by original and returning bassist Youth aka Martin Glover. Throughout, Jaz Coleman's state of the world lyrics and "savagely strident vocals" remain undimmed.
The original Killing Joke line-up reformed in full in 2008, have released several albums of new material and are touring in 2023, including an appearance at the Royal Albert Hall in London on 12th March.
Today's selection starts in 1985, with a track from Night Time, and ends in 2014 with a remix from the In Dub 3CD collection. In between you'll find remixes, album tracks and singles and some seriously heavy sounds. Brace yourselves.
1) Europe (Album Version) (1985)
2) Wardance (The RAF Mix By Zeus B. Held) (1986)
3) Seeing Red (Jagz Kooner Remix) (2004)
4) Mass (Campaign Collection Mix By Youth & Paul Wright) (1996)
5) Love Like Blood (Gestalt Mix By Chris Kimsey, Chris Nagle & Killing Joke) (1985)
6) Democracy (United Nations Mix By Black Sun aka Youth & Ott) (1996)
7) Loose Cannon (Album Version) (2003)
8) Exorcism (Vatican Ambient Dub) (Remix By Youth) (2014)
9) America (Single Version) (1988)
1985: Love Like Blood EP: 5
1985: Night Time: 1
1986: Sanity EP: 2
1988: America EP: 9
1996: Democracy EP: 4, 6
2003: Killing Joke: 7
2004: Seeing Red EP: 3
2014: In Dub: 8