Saturday 31 December 2022

In Space We Trust

The final selection of 2022 highlights was becoming a bit of a monster. This nearly ended up as a 22-track, two-and-a-half hour megalomaniamix, such was my difficulty in paring down the many, many songs that I've loved this year but which hadn't made it onto the previous selections this week. 
 
Nobody needs a monster mix on New Year's Eve though, me included, so here's a rather more reasonable 10 track selection at just over an hour. I could quite decide if I was creating a club or a chill out area but hopefully enough to get a party started...in our case, Clan K, the cat, some food and party games and skipping Jools Holland's Hootenanny.
 
More of the usual suspects but a couple of new (to me) artists, BT COP and Residentes Balearicos, that were respectively introduced via the superb Shelter Me and Higher Love Vol. 2 compilations earlier this year.
 
And, just under the wire for consideration in 2022, I got home from work to find that my first package from my Last Night From Glasgow subscription had arrived. Four beautifully packaged coloured vinyl albums from Popup, Billy Reeves and The Soup Dragons and - most eagerly anticipated of all - on double yellow vinyl, Happy Ending by Hifi Sean and David McAlmont. Needless to say, the latter made my night/week/year.
 
Following yesterday's single of the year award, guess what? They've only gone and done it again.
 
2022 has seen some outstanding albums that I've lived with and listened to repeatedly. However, in face of incredibly strong competition, Happy Ending is just perfect from start to finish. I will be coming back to it again (and again) in future posts but in the meantime, no better way to close this compilation and my 365th post in 2022.
 
Happy Ending is my album of the year. 
 
Thanks for your support and comments and for continuing to inspire and motivate me on a daily basis. I never thought that I'd still be going, two years after starting this blog, but the constant delight of new music, unearthing personal favourites and being introduced to artists and music that I'd missed altogether is stronger than ever.
 
I hope, however you're marking this evening and whoever you're spending it with, that you have a wonderful New Year's Eve and a fantastic start to 2023.
 
1) First Rays Of A New Life: Dan Wainwright & Elle Redding (Mother Oak)
2) Proof Of Stake: BT COP (Shelter Me: various artists)
3) Silent Disco Sucks (Duncan Gray Remix): Pete Bones & The Stones Of Convention (Hyena Hopscotch Remixes)
4) Balearic For President: Residentes Balearicos (Higher Love Vol. 2: various artists)
5) Summer Lovin' (Full Length Version): Cerrone & Purple Disco Machine (Summer Lovin' single)
6) Dexter In Dub (Bedford Falls Players Remix): Perry Granville (Dexter In Dub single)
7) Space Is Us (Basement Jaxx Remix): Telefís ft. Sean O'Hagan (Space Is Us EP)
8) Jezebellearic: Jezebell (Jezebellearica Volume 1 EP)
9) Sail On: Al Mackenzie (Sail On single)
10) Beautiful: Hifi Sean & David McAlmont (Happy Ending)
 
In Space We Trust (1:02:00) (Box) (Mega)

10 comments:

  1. The Hifi Sean McAlmont album is superb, I was lucky to get a copy a couple of months ago and it's brilliant. Its already looking like one of next year's best records. Happy new year Khayem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a lovely reply from Hifi Sean on Twitter reminding me that the album's not on general release until Feb 2023, so maybe I'll qualify my comment above by saying that I didn't state which year...! ;-) It's the first new vinyl album I've owned on release/pre-release in many, many years and that feeling of unwrapping it, taking the unplayed vinyl out of the sleeve, putting it on the turntable and gently placing the needle on the run in groove to hear the opening seconds of Side A was...a moment.

      I hope tonight goes well (and thanks for the excellent Bagging Area mix) and wishing you and your family all the best for 2023.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too, Mike. Looking forward to more gig going exploits in 2023!

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year to you and Clan K, Khayem. We're definitely with you on skipping Jools Holland's Hootenanny these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, C, the challenge this year might be staying awake until midnight. As Chuck Berry once sang, we're in danger of being "Too Pooped To Pop"! Happy New Year to you and Mr SDS!

      Delete
  4. All the best to you, Clan K and the Kat (which I think is how you should say it for consistency's sake)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ernie, very best wishes to you too!

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to this, as I've not heard anything on it yet. Happy New Year! Thanks for all the shares and exposing me to new and forgotten favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mooz, your daily mixes are also very much appreciated. Have a great 2023!

      Delete