Tuesday 13 December 2022

Bad Angel

Celebrating Angelo Badalamenti, 22nd March 1937 to 11th December 2022.

I had another late night working and an early rise this morning, so I haven't had much time to respond to the sad news of Angelo's passing and prepare a Dubhed selection. Instead, I trawled YouTube for a few examples of how wondeful this man's contribution to music and films has been.
 
Inevitably, there will be music drawn from his long-time collaboration with David Lynch but another partnership to start, with Tim Booth of James as Booth And The Bad Angel. I first heard Dance Of The Bad Angels on a compilation and it's remained my favourite track on their eponymous debut (and sole) album.
 
Next up is Sneaky Audrey, taken from a mammoth 212-track digital collection of unreleased soundtrack music from The Twin Peaks Archive, originally available in 2011 for less than ten US dollars . I don't own the whole album, but this is one of several tracks that I was able to, er, track down online a few years.
 
Another much-loved soundtrack to a David Lynch film (which I own on CD) in Lost Highway from 1996. This snippet, with fan-produced 'lost highway' video, is called Dub Driving.
 
Although Angelo is arguably best-known for his partnership with David Lynch, he wrote the music for many other films, including Danny Boyle's 2000 film adaptation of The Beach. Whatever you think of the film, the soundtrack album is something else, including the opening track Bizarre City, which was remixed by Barry Adamson. Beached, another rather special pairing with Orbital, was also released as a single.
 
Angelo also paired up with David Bowie in 1998 to contribute to Red Hot + Rhapsody: The Gershwin Groove. Their choice of Gershwin song was A Foggy Day In London Town, originally recorded (as A Foggy Day) in 1937 by Fred Astaire for the film A Damsel In Distress.
 
Today's selection inevitably had to close with another choice from the Twin Peaks soundtrack, featuring another truly amazing artist who we sadly lost this year, Julee Cruise. When I posted a celebration of Julee's music in June, I chose another Lynch/Badalamenti song and The Wedding Present's cover of this one, Falling.

This time, I've selected Julee's appearance on Top Of The Pops, broadcast 22nd November 1990. Health warning: includes Anthea Turner, but Angelo's there on stage too, to Julee's left, on the Korg. Just beautiful.

Rest in peace, Angelo, your music will endure.

2 comments:

  1. A lovely tribute to a man I sadly wasn't aware of until his passing. Also lovely to hear a bit of Bowie, coming up to 7 years since his death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Alyson. I wasn't especially aware of the name behind the Twin Peaks soundtrack but my friend switched me onto Julee Cruise's album Floating Into The Night in 1990, which was written and produced by Angelo Badalamenti and David Lynch, so he was on my radar quite early on. His soundtrack work alone is huge.

      And yes, hard to believe we're coming up to David Bowie's 76th birthday and 7th year of his passing. I posted a Bowie live in concert selection in 2021 (Five Years, naturally) and pre-emptively posted another selection a few days ago. Musically speaking, he's never left and is a regular presence in my week-to-week music experience.

      Delete