Saturday 24 December 2022

The D:Ream I Could Believe

D:Ream aka Peter Cunnah and Al Mackenzie appeared in my 2021 round up with their rather fine comeback single Meet Me At Midnight and (no spoiler alert) they've done it again this year. 
 
Pedestal was released as a single in September and this month saw a rather fine remix package featuring, amongst others, Dubhed favourites Jezebell aka Jesse Fahnestock and Darren Bell. Jezebell were also in my 2021 list and (no spoiler alert), they'll be in this year's round up, which I'll be sharing after Christmas.
 
It's been a great couple of years if you're a fan of either or both. D:Ream's fourth album (and first in a decade) came out in 2021. Peter and Al also got the rights back to their third album In Memory Of..., gave it the love and attention it lacked first time around and re-released it into the world. Alongside both albums came a trio of remix packages available as a 'name your price' download via Bandcamp. Needless to say, an embarrassment of riches to be found across all.
 
So, in case you're already weary of Paul McCartney, Elton John, East 17 and Mariah Carey, here's a D:Ream selection of remixes, mostly from the past two years but also dipping back into the 1990s for a trio of classics by Leftfield, Sasha and Development Corporation. The remix of Unforgiven previously appeared on a Leftfield selection posted in February this year, but when it's this good, why apologise for repetition?
 
I'm loving the 21st century remixes too: Pete Herbert never disappoints and any of Al Mackenzie's remixes as Retroforward have been spot on. And that Jezebell remix is just sublime.
 
One more sleep to go until Christmas, but I hope this might encourage you to stay up a little later and dance around the Christmas tree. Keep scrolling to the bottom for an extra Christmas treat.
 
This one's especially dedicated to Jez, genius behind the A History Of Dubious Taste music blog. Wishing you all the best for your recovery.
 
1) Many Hands (Shape Of Space Remix By Paul Greendale & Chris Stevenson) (2021)
2) Unforgiven (Leftfield Hands Mix By Neil Barnes & Paul Daley) (1993)
3) I Used To Believe In Love (Ashley Beedle's NSW Love & Joy Vocal Mix) (2021)
4) U R The Best Thing (Sasha Dub) (Remix By Alexander Coe & Tom Frederikse) (1992)
5) Pedestal (Jezebell's Dizzy Heights Remix By Jesse Fahnestock & Darren Bell) (2022)
6) Drop Beatz Not Bombs (Deepchild Remix By Rick Bull) (2011)
7) All Things To All Men (Pete Herbert Remix) (2011)
8) Meet Me At Midnight (Retroforward Plays Pop Remix By Al Mackenzie) (2021)
9) Things Can Only Get Better (Superfly Development Vocal) (Remix By Development Corporation) (1993) 
10) Make Love Cool Again (RMN vs Jus Jez Remix) (2021)

The D:Ream I Could Believe (1:04:46) (KF) (Mega)
 
Pedestal

Please tell me how, please tell me how
It’s come to this again?
Tell me it aint so
I gotta know, I gotta know
Are we on again?
Maybe? I don’t know

What answer leaves you racked in doubt
Can’t figure you, can’t work it out
I’m wondering, "What the hell it all means"?

I put you up on a pedestal
You were the dream I could believe but you just kept on deceiving me
Well I held you above me
You just looked down on me

Tell it to the child, like you tell a child
You’re not making sense
Tell me, I must know
Give him a name. Give, give him a name
Just say his name
Tell me. I got a right to know

Come share another ecstasy
We’ll make love so tenderly
We’ll make love ‘til our bodies ache

I put you up on a pedestal
You were the dream I could believe but you just kept on deceiving me
I put you way up on a pedestal
I worshipped the ground you walked upon
But you just kept walking over me
Well I held you above me
You just looked down on me

My head, my hands aint got no feeling
In my head, my hands, you just don’t mean it
In my head, my hands I can’t believe it
I just can’t

I put you up on a pedestal
You were the dream I could believe but you just kept on deceiving me
I put you way up on a pedestal
I worshipped the ground you walked upon
But you just kept walking over me
Well I held you above me
You just looked down on me

 
Jesse Fahnestock, one half of Jezebell, is also 100% of 10:40 and has featured on this blog many times including the 2021 round up and (no spoiler alert) will be popping up again next week. Clearing the decks for a new album in 2023, Jesse has been posting a rather wonderful 10:40 advent calendar, containing previous album tracks, singles and remixes, all for free. I've been a fan since first discovering 10:40 during the pandemic and created my own Dubhed selection of 10:40 and Jezebell gems back in May. Many of the 10:40 tracks have re-appeared in the advent calendar so if you haven't got them already, I'd strongly recommend you get over there today!
 
Last Christmas Eve, I posted the latest festive offering from Martin Jenkins aka Pye Corner Audio. 2022 is no exception and Martin has provided another free/name your price chiller in the shape of Satan's Slay.  

 
It's going to be tough Christmas for many, I know. However you're spending your time this weekend, love and very best wishes from me. Your visits to this blog and comments on my musical ramblings have been a constant source of encouragement and support when I've found things difficult and I hope in some small way, I can pay some of this forward. 

A brief, prepared post for tomorrow. Normal business should resume on Boxing Day.

6 comments:

  1. Have a great Xmas and thanks for all the sounds and all the effort that goes into them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ernie, a visit to 27 Leggies is guaranteed to lift my spirits and broaden my mind. I hope you're having a great Xmas week!

      Delete
  2. A very happy Christmas to you and yours, Khayem and I echo Ernie's thoughts above. Was great to have discovered your blog this year, keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, C, I hope you're having a great time too, weather notwithstanding! I'm glad that you've enjoyed the blog, I will continue to be more vocal in my comments and praise for Sun Dried Sparrows!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for your kind words and for introducing us all to so much God music this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jesse. Let's be honest, you've been responsible for a large chunk of the good music this year! How do you and Darren manage to get any sleep with your musical work rate?! Seriously, thanks a lot for keeping the Jezebell and 10:40 gold coming in 2022, I'm really looking forward to the new 10:40 album in 2023. I don't need to wish you a Happy New Year, it will be!

      Delete