Thursday 29 December 2022

When You're Down, Keep Looking Up

Today's selection highlights 20 of my favourite albums from 2022. I know I probably should have tried to stretch it to 22 from '22, but time constraints meant that I only managed 10 last year so this is a big improvement and fits neatly into a mock-CD running time.
 
As with last year, I've not ranked or scored the albums, just sequenced the selected tracks in a way that I hope makes for a satisfying playlist. Again, I'm a bit tight for time, so the commentary is minimal.

I had a very long shortlist so a mention to several albums that didn't make today's selection but are excellent nevertheless: Midnight Rocker by Horace Andy; Ibibio Sound Machine's Electricity, produced by Hot Chip; Alright by Luxxury; any of the other 5 albums released by SAULT this year; The Album Club's self-titled album; Memoria by Trentemøller, the list goes on. And so many that are still on my 'must buy' list.
 
Several albums, by Andy Bell, Katy J Pearson and Confidence Man, were contenders from the moment I first heard them and have remained playlist staples ever since. A couple - Orbury Common and Tomberlin - came on the back of support slots for other artists featured in this selection that I got to see live in concert. 
 
Julian Cope and Blancmange were back with new albums, whilst Altered Images surprised me with a comeback album full of pop hooks that firmly proclaimed that they were no heritage act. A very welcome return for all.
 
Cathal Coughlan teamed up with Jacknife Lee as Telefís for not one but two albums in 2022. The news of Coughlan's death in May was - and still is - a shock, one of far too many tragic losses this year. Telefís was proof, if any needed, that Cathal was on a creative roll and had so much more to share.
 
Quite a few were late entries, the common thread being that they're all on the Late Night From Glasgow label. I invested in an annual subscription in December and, as a result, received digital copies of the year's releases including In The Forest, Monica Queen, The Bathers, André Salvador & The Von Kings. My first vinyl order/delivery from LNFG has just been dispatched. If it arrives before year end and ignoring my earlier comments about not ranking or scoring, the package will contain what will undoubtedly be my album of the year. 
 
After a gig-less 2021, I finally got back out this year. Just the four, but what a four: Madness (Westonbirt, June), Katy J Pearson (Bristol, September), Blancmange (Stroud, October) and Angel Olsen (Bath, October). All very special in their own way and with great support acts. 
 
Time prevents me from waxing lyrical about every selection but a special mention for Andy Bell, whose album Flicker came out in February and has been followed by a steady stream of singles, cover versions and remixes. These have been collected on a trio of themed EPs - I Am A Strange Loop, The Grounding Process and Untitled Film Stills - plus a compilation/companion, Strange Loops & Outer Psych. And this isn't counting Andy's remixes as GLOK! 
 
Given that Flicker itself is a double album and deservedly so, the sheer amount of quality music that Andy Bell has offered up in the last 12 months is nothing short of phenomenal. I think Flicker would otherwise be my album of the year on a list of excellent albums by Weyes Blood, Pye Corner Audio and Unloved.
 
More tomorrow.
 
1) idkwntht: Tomberlin (i don’t know who needs to hear this...)
2) Fight For Love: SAULT (11)
3) Break It Bought It (Album Version): Confidence Man (Tilt)
4) Hot In Her (Album Version) (Cover of Nelly): Mr. Oizo & Phra (Voilá)
5) Sex Bunting: Telefís (a hAon)
6) Reduced Voltage (Album Version): Blancmange (Private View)
7) Haberdashery: Orbury Common (The Traditional Dance Of Orbury Common EP)
8) Saturation Point (Album Version): Pye Corner Audio (Let’s Emerge!)
9) Waiting For The Call: In The Forest (These Four Walls)
10) Big Time (Album Version): Angel Olsen (Big Time)
11) I Want You To Stop, You're Killing Me: Monica Queen (Stop That Girl)
12) Turn Of The Screw (Album Version): Unloved ft. Raven Violet (The Pink Album)
13) Changing My Luck: Altered Images (Mascara Streakz)
14) Cape St. Vincent: The Bathers (Summer Lightning)
15) Howl: Katy J Pearson ft. Orlando Weeks (Sound Of The Morning) 
16) January: Momus (Smudger)
17) All The Yin-Yangs That Give it Away: Julian Cope (England Expectorates)
18) Dieu Du Ciel: André Salvador & The Von Kings (Draped Apes)
19) Jenny Holzer B. Goode: Andy Bell (Flicker)
20) Twin Flame: Weyes Blood (And In The Darkness, Hearts Aglow)

When You're Down, Keep Looking Up (1:17:22) (Box) (Mega)

8 comments:

  1. Monica Queen and In the Forest both very good albums

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed, CC. I'm enjoying the dive through the LNFG vaults, I'm still on 2022 and I've yet to get to The Trash Can Sinatras. I was feeling very happy with my membership before the first vinyl had even arrived in the post!

      Delete
  2. Andy Bell's had a very good year hasn't he? Plus all the Ride stuff he's doing concurrently

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he has, Adam, and I'm pretty sure I said the same thing last year! You're right, I only mentioned Andy's 'solo' work. Adding Ride and the appearances he's made elsewhere - Pye Corner Audio springs to mind - and live performances, how does he manage to cram so much brilliance into a mere 12 months?!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for introducing me to SAULT and I'd forgotten all about the new Altered Images album!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. SAULT's the gift that keeps on giving, it really is. The Altered Images album is a delight. If you're online today and have some Xmas money to spend, get yourself over to their official website/shop and the album's currently half price across all formats. CD is a fiver and transparent red vinyl is £12.50. Both come with a limited extra CD EP. Bargain!

      Delete
  4. Happy holidays, my good man. Andy Bell seems to be a mainstay our lists. That Bathers set is one of my highlights too. Reading this post tells me I have quite a bit of catching up to do, however. Thanks for the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brian, I hope you and your family are well and enjoying the festive period. I only really began to appreciate Andy Bell's work (and discovered GLOK) during lockdown but his work over the past couple of years is astonishing. I think I'd heard The Bathers before but they weren't really on my radar until I got the Last Night From Glasgow subscription earlier this month. I'm looking forward to hearing more.

      I'm in the same boat as you, Brian. What's amazing - and daunting - when travelling around the blogging community is how small the overlap in the 'best of' lists has been...and so many 'must hear' albums I've yet to hear. And I was still trying to catch up with 2021, 2020, 2019... Have a very Happy New Year!

      Delete