Wednesday 14 December 2022

Still Be Real

Happy birthday, Beth Orton
 
Beth and I were born three days and roughly two hundred miles apart. Beth released her eighth studio solo album, Weather Alive, in September 2022. My attempts at singing have mercifully remained unrecorded and unreleased.

It was almost certainly Water From A Vine Leaf by William Orbit that introduced me to Beth's voice and from there her own work, albeit exclusively via singles and remixes. I'm pretty sure third album Central Reservation was the first album I bought, though I've since gone back to the previous two and have intermittently picked up subsequent releases. I haven't yet heard Weather Alive in full, but it is represented here with a song featured on Mojo magazine's recent Best Of 2022 sampler CD.
 
Today's selection goes from Beth's most recent album all the way back to her solo debut, Superpinkymandy, produced by William Orbit and released nearly 30 years ago. Some truly wonderful moments from an impressive body of work.
 
Have a good one, Beth.

1) Central Reservation (William Orbit Remix) (1999)
2) Pedestal (Single Version By Brian O'Shaughnessy) (1997)
3) Thinking About Tomorrow (Ben Watt Radio Mix ft. The Wrecking Crew Orchestra) (2003)
4) I Wish I Never Saw The Sunshine (Album Version By Andrew Weatherall & Keith Tenniswood) (1996)
5) Stolen Car (Radio Edit By Victor Van Vugt & Mark 'Spike' Stent) (1999)
6) Friday Night (Album Version By Beth Orton & Craig Silvey) (2022)
7) Roll The Dice (Album Version By William Orbit) (1993)
8) That Summer Feeling (Cover of Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers) (2012)
9) Concrete Sky (Album Version By Victor Van Vugt & Ben Watt) (2002)
10) Someone's Daughter (Single Version By Ian Grimble) (1997)

1993: Superpinkymandy: 7
1996: Trailer Park: 4
1997: Someone's Daughter EP: 10
1997: Touch Me With Your Love EP: 2
1999: Central Reservation EP: 1
1999: Stolen Car EP: 5 
2002: Daybreaker: 9
2003: Thinking About Tomorrow EP: 3
2012: Sugaring Season: 8
2022: Weather Alive: 6

Still Be Real (45:40) (Box) (Mega)

2 comments:

  1. This is all very well, but what we want is your debut album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm stuck on an album title before I even press Record, Ernie. Do I go for Grating Hits or Don't Forget To Gargle?

      Delete