A resplendent version of Trouble Understanding by The Charlatans, performed at The Church in London in 2015 to promote then-new album Modern Nature.
The rolling bass, emotive keyboards, chiming guitar and chugging percussion all come together beautiful, Tim Burgess (with newly bleached roots) in fine voice and the duo of backing vocalists Melanie Marshall and Sandra Marvin elevating the song.
The studio version soars to similar heights but I prefer this version, the vocals more to the fore, but each element standing on its own and bursting with life.
Norman Cook did a couple of remixes of Trouble Understanding, the main version paring the song down, creating a Balearic soundscape without losing the grandeur of the song.
Norman was clearly equally entranced by Tim, Melanie and Sandra's performance as he stripped things back even further with an a capella remix.
Beautiful, isn't it?
None of these were the first version of Trouble Understanding that I heard. That was the "Rudeboy Edit", which essentially takes Norman Cook's remix and underpins it with the rhythm track of Teardrop by Massive Attack, to great effect.
This version was originally posted as a YT link via Fatboy Slim's website, which was how I came across it. Sadly, it's no longer available online, but I will try to include it in a future Dubhed selection.
No comments:
Post a Comment