Sunday morning is the new Friday night, so get your dancing shoes on and break into the kitchen disco with a trip through the 1980s, courtesy of the 12" single.
Starting with 1980 and Mtume, ending in 1989 with Lil' Louis, I'm 99.9% certain that none of these versions - in some cases, the songs or artists - have appeared in a previous Dubhed selection.
Surprisingly so, in some cases: why have I deprived you of the full length mixes (or remixes) of You're The One For Me by D-Train, Let The Music Play by Shannon or I Feel For You by Chaka Khan?
The list of producers and remixers also reads like a who's who of club music, including François Kevorkian, Timmy Regisford, James Mtume, Reggie Lucas, Hubert Eaves III, Shep Pettibone, Kevin Saunderson and Steve "Silk" Hurley.
Despite the gap in years and the change in musical genres, these songs also chart a natural evolution, flowing from one to the next. A better person than I would create a seamless DJ mix; I've just sequenced some tunes together.
Pretty damn good tunes, though.
1) So You Wanna Be A Star (Album Version): Mtume ft. Brenda White-King, Gwen Guthrie & Luther Vandross (1980)
2) You're The One For Me (12 Inch Disco Vocal Version): D-Train (1981)
3) You Can't Stop! (12" Version By Shep Pettibone): David McPherson (1982)
4) Let The Music Play (12" Remix): Shannon (1983)
5) I Feel For You (Remix): Chaka Khan ft. Melle Mel & Stevie Wonder (1984)
6) Trapped (Hot New Mix): Colonel Abrams (1985)
7) Love Can't Turn Around (Club Mix) (Edit): Farley 'Jackmaster' Funk & Jessie Saunders ft. Darryl Pandy (1986)
8) Pump Up The Volume (Extended): M|A|R|R|S ft. E-Mix (1987)
9) Good Life (Steve Hurley's "House Of Trix"): Inner City (1988)
10) French Kiss (Innocent Until Proven Guilty Vocal Remix (Re-Layed)): Lil' Louis ft. Pasquale (1989)

No comments:
Post a Comment