Friday 23 August 2024

All The Leaves Are Brown And The Sky Is Grey


...Not the ideal weather conditions with a bank holiday weekend coming up in the UK, is it?

It inevitably got me thinking of California Dreamin' by The Mamas & The Papas, longing to swap your present environ for sunnier climes. Whilst the character in the song is homesick for Los Angeles, I'd happily settle for a week anywhere in the Canaries or Greek islands right now...

I found a video of The Mamas & The Papas performing California Dreamin' on The Ed Sullivan Show on 24th September 1967, and it's brilliant. Yes, it's mimed but the quartet take full advantage of that fact and have fun with the format, none more so than Michelle Phillips, who is eating a banana for most of it.

2 comments:

  1. I guess you already know this K but Michelle was furious that they had to mime. Hence the banana. Don't think you would want to mess with Miss P... hard to fathom it's 57 years ago..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, that fun fact was new to me but makes me like Michelle and the band even more. Bananas as an act of defiance, I like it!

      Delete