Monday 19 August 2024

Dub Americana


There's a link between Jeb Loy Nichols and last Friday's headliner Horace Andy, in that the former wrote three songs on the latter's 2023 album Midnight Rocker: Try Love, Today Is Right Here and Easy Money.
 
The other connections are that both Jeb and Horace have worked with dub maestro Adrian Sherwood and had albums released on the On-U Sound label.
 
Jeb's connection with Sherwood goes way back. Jeb was born in Lander, Wyoming, going on to live in Missouri, Texas and New York City before moving to London in 1981, sharing an East End squat with Adrian, Ari Up and Neneh Cherry.

His CV makes for an enviable read: art director for Pressure Sounds reggae reissue label; guest vocalist for Groove Armada (What's Your Version? on 2007 album Soundboy Rock); print and fabric designer for Paul Smith; compiling the celebrated Country Got Soul series in the early 2000s. Oh, and music that got a ton of great reviews, but fewer sales.

In 1990, Jeb formed the Fellow Travellers with his wife, Lorraine Morley. His debut solo album, Lovers Knot, came in 1997 with second album Just What Time It Is, coinciding with a move to rural Wales in 2000.
 
These days, Jeb spends his time as a "writer, musician, artist, worrier, reader, sleeper, tree planter, squirrel watcher."

I can't comment on Jeb's achievements as a tree planter or squirrel watcher, but since my purchase of his On-U albums last year, I've rapidly become a fan.


 
 
 

 

 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Been a fan of Jeb Loy for many years and been lucky enough to see a few times. This is probably still my favourite. Its nearly 25 years old - how did that happen?

    https://youtu.be/hP3LTmG_HAs?si=cf2aM8sxMSiGlW0S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sadly couldn't make it, but Jeb Loy was performing in Bristol recently, as support for John Rouse. Quite an evening, I'm sure.

      Thanks for the link, which I enjoyed a lot. I also loved the accompanying description of Heaven Right Here as "a great sitting-on-your-front-porch-drinking-a-beer-in-summer song" which is pretty spot on.

      Delete
  2. I am a fan of Jeb Loy since he released Just a visitor with Fellow Travellers more than 30 years ago and I borrowed his song to label my blog. Saw him to promote this album in a small venue on a hot summer day sadly in front of an audience with 40 people. Don't know the reason why he switched off my radar and will rapidly investigate his collaboration with Horace Andy. Thank you Khayem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have guessed that you and Ernie would have been on the case with Jeb Loy, Walter. I hadn't made the connection between Jeb Loy and the name of your blog, though. Every day is an education! I'm looking forward to discovering more of his rich back catalogue in the coming months.

      Delete
  3. Just a visitor, fellow traveler's second album came to this household as Spex magazine's record of the month. The magazine that was essential at the time celebrated the album so much that I had to buy this album. And I have to say, it didn't blow me away. Well it was 1992 and I was still caught up in this “second summer of love” thing and chasing every ambient house record. But I forced myself to listen to this record again and again. There was something that really grabbed me. Jeb Loy's nasal vocals, Lorraine Morley's wonderful vocals-against-part and these dubs, attached to various songs as part 2 on just a visitor, made the sky rip open in my acid house "radiated" single booth.
    And with “things and time” they finally had me hooked. This album is so packed with great melodies that I spent entire evenings shedding tears because of its beauty. “a few good dubs” then introduced the summer to these wondrous pieces with wonderful dub versions and unfortunately brought the trip to an end. But J.L.Nichols remained with us and is still a welcome guest on the couch at home with each of his albums. Thx Khayem and Summer greetings by Alex (EAR/BTG)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex, I have a lot of catching up to do but I'm clearly in for a treat with the Fellow Travellers albums as well as Jeb Loy's subsequent solo work.

      Some brilliantly vivid descriptions there, I particularly liked that the music "made the sky rip open in my acid house "radiated" single booth" I think we all need a record or two like that in our collection...

      Delete
  4. You're absolutely right. You should catch up on “things and time” as soon as possible if you haven’t heard it yet. such a wonderful record. Alex.

    ReplyDelete