Saturday 10 August 2024

Decade I: 1980


Side 1 of a cassette compilation, recorded 3rd February 1990.
 
In 2023, Toby Roberts dreamed of competing in the 2024 Olympics, qualifying in October and yesterday bringing home gold with an incredible boulder and lead performance, aged 19.

In 1990, 19-year old me dreamed of girls, music and getting away from the UK. As Meat Loaf once over emoted on vinyl, two out of three ain't bad. My love life was at least consistent: mostly short-lived or unrequited. But...I did eventually get away from the UK later that year, a life-changing solo experience in Australia. Gold Coast rather than a gold medal, but good enough for me.

And my relationship with music has sustained me through the years, never letting me down. Well, apart from that Simple Minds headline gig at the Ashton Court Festival in Bristol, but nothing's perfect, right?

So, as 1989 turned into 1990 I had the notion of doing a themed series of cassette compilations, looking back at the previous decade. Five C90s, one year per side, 12 songs apiece. 

I had a growing record collection by that time, mostly vinyl and cassettes, with a few CDs creeping in. I also had access to my brother's vinyl - he'd gone to uni in Bournemouth and left most of behind with my parents - and my friend Stuart's collection, to plug any gaps in my 'wants' list.

1980 is inevitably a cracking selection, if I say so myself, as there was so much good music to choose from. Pretty much all of these came from my own records, the only exceptions being Martha & The Muffins (my brother's copy of Metro Music) and Talking Heads and U2, borrowed from Stuart.

And yes, I accept that Once In A Lifetime wasn't released in the UK as a single until January 1981. However, in those pre-internet years, I went by the P&C year stated on the back sleeve and labels. Remain In Light said 1980, so that was good enough for me. I subsequently found that the info printed on records were often unreliable in this regard. in this case, I'm happy to confirm that Remain In Light came out in October 1980. Yippee, me.

A strong opener to the series, then. Could I sustain it? 

You won't have long to find out...
 
1) Messages (10" Version): O.M.D.
2) Fade To Grey (Dance Mix Edit): Visage
3) Echo Beach (Album Version): Martha & The Muffins
4) Once In A Lifetime (Album Version): Talking Heads
5) Call Me (Theme From American Gigolo) (Single Version): Blondie
6) Do It Clean (Single Version): Echo & The Bunnymen
7) Independence Day (Album Version): The Comsat Angels
8) Israel (Single Version): Siouxsie & The Banshees
9) Love Will Tear Us Apart (Album Version): Joy Division
10) My Perfect Cousin (Album Version): The Undertones
11) A Day Without Me (Album Version): U2
12) Being Boiled (Album Version): The Human League

Side One (46:12) (KF) (Mega)

5 comments:

  1. Excellent selection, even if it was made easier by the overall quality of what was available. 'Being Boiled' is still the only reference to sericulture in popular music I believe (waits to be proven wrong when Rol produces a Top 10 songs about traditional methods of silk production).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Phil Oakey has apologised to Buddha since.

      In lieu of Rol's Top 10, here's Prince Shima straight out of British Columbia with this titular song from 2019 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00GNA223R-Y except he forgot to reference sericulture (or Buddha, for that matter) in the lyrics!

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to side 2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been going through the chart hits and cult classics of '79 (45s from 45 years ago!) over at TVV as part of a monthly series. Looking at this....i think I've good enough reason to keep it rolling over into next year

    ReplyDelete