Friday 16 August 2024

This Sound Rule Dancehall

No introduction or justification needed for Horace Andy. It's it's Friday, it must be Feverish, from his 2022 album Midnight Scorchers.

A companion to the same year's Midnight Rocker, both produced by Adrian Sherwood, and re-released as a double album, Rockers & Scorchers at the end of 2022.

They're both stunning albums but don't just take my word for it, what did Horace and Adrian think at the time?

“I’ll be sitting at home listening and full joying it on my Speaker Box dem!’" 

“I’m very happy with the way 'Scorchers’ has turned out; for me, it’s the perfect accompaniment to Midnight Rocker."

What neither mention is that each album also features a couple of really great cover versions.

 
 
 
Happy Friday, everyone!

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you, Horace and Adrian. 'Mr Bassie' and the remix with Daddy Freddy are particular favourites when I am sitting at home listening and full joying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that I may get to see the great man himself this coming weekend. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  2. One of my favorite artists, one of the great reggae voices, teamed up wit Adrian. "Safe from Harm" by Massive Attack, Shara Nelson, top-shelf all the way...but this version is the superior. Only right with all the work HA has done with MA over the years. Thanks for these reminders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hearing how perfectly they complement each other, it's incredible that they haven't recorded more together previously. The Tiny Desk concert from Adrian's living room in 2022 is incredible, not least to see the On-U ensemble. Oh, to have been the Deliveroo guy that day!

      https://youtu.be/RfkXW0Gm3eQ?si=sGG4CfJxWIQKiIkH

      Delete
  3. An artist I really should know a great deal more about.

    Big thanks for highlighting the Massive Attack cover. Didn't think it was possible to improve on the original......seems I was wrong. Incredible.

    ReplyDelete