Saturday 24 August 2024

Decade III: 1984

Side 1 of a cassette compilation, recorded sometime in March 1990, discarded or misplaced somewhere along the way, reimagined and recreated 18th August 2024.
 
The halfway point, and the second of the two cassettes from the Decade series that I lost, broke or smashed with a lump hammer at some point in the last twenty years. One of these scenarios is highly unlikely.
 
I had a vague recollection of some of the songs on the previous mixtape, but I have no memory of the original 1984 tracklisting whatsoever. It probably would have featured Bronski Beat, almost certainly Depeche Mode and would I have left off Tears For Fears with Shout or at a push Mothers Talk? I don't know, but none of them have made the cut this time around.
 
The selection starts off with two of the defining songs of the year for me, by Prince and Frankie Goes To Hollywood. My appreciation of the Purple One really kicked off a few years later, but I was in with the Liverpool lads as soon as they appeared on The Tube and Top Of The Pops. Neither song has lost its edge or impact, forty years later.

Eighties by Killing Joke, as well as being an apt choice for this series, was the one that hooked me in to the band. Most likely I would have heard them on the radio previously, but it was probably Love Like Blood and the Night Time album the following year that sealed the deal. Kurt Cobain was similarly inspired.

1984 was also the year that the ZTT aka Zang Tumb Tuum label exploded, on the back of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's success with Relax and Trevor Horn's huge production. It was also the home to The Art Of Noise and the bonkers Close (To The Edit), in the days when this kind of craziness could also be a #1 single in the UK. I've got multiple versions of this song, reflecting ZTT's saturation of the market with vinyl, cassette, VHS and Beta, endless 12" remixes and probably a kitchen sink format for one of their releases. On the downside, every single length version of Close (To The Edit) in my collection is prone to vinyl crackles or tape hiss and dropout, so please excuse the slight dip in sound quality.

At the other end of the spectrum, Eurythmics were becoming increasingly more slick with each album. Previous album Touch seems to have been the jumping off point for many, though I liked it and was positively disposed towards follow up single Sexcrime (Nineteen Eighty-Four). Released to promote the film adaptation of George Orwell's 1984 (one film that couldn't afford to have a delayed release), Eurythmics also provided the largely instrumental soundtrack album. Not much to recommend it, to be honest. I skipped this album and was disappointed with the 1985 follow up, Be Yourself Tonight. 

I've inadvertently created a mini Six Degrees Of Separation here. Elvis Costello got Green Gartside in to provide backing vocals on I Wanna Be Loved. Green had also appeared on Eurythmics' Sweet Dreams album; Elvis would do the same on Be Yourself Tonight. And the thankfully prophetic Nelson Mandela by The Special AKA was produced by... Elvis Costello.
 
The thread ends there as I couldn't find any link to Strawberry Switchblade, though suggestions on a postcard are welcome. Since Yesterday is a low-fi pop classic that made me briefly want to buy a polka dot shirt. I didn't, though my fashion crimes in this decade were many and there are photos to prove it. Fiction Factory were another one-hit wonder from this year, and whilst I have no recollection of their wardrobe choices, what a song, eh?

Billy Idol came as close as he ever did to a ballad with Eyes Without A Face (UK #18 in August 1984, pop fans), though Steve Stevens succumbs about two thirds of the way in, releasing an almighty riff. None of that guitar nonsense for Heaven 17 though, who (Fair)light the way with Sunset Now, backed by female vocal trio Afrodiziak. Member Caron Wheeler would find her moment in the spotlight a few years later, first with Soul II Soul, then as a solo artist.

I'm pretty sure that I didn't include Come Back by The Mighty Wah! on the original compilation in 1990, which may have been one of the triggers for losing/destroying it years later. In 2024, Pete Wylie and Josie Jones get to close the show as only they can. A fantastic song that manages to soar even higher than The Story Of The Blues.

I'm hoping that you'll all, ahem, ‘Come Back' tomorrow for 1985, though if you're expecting Madonna, Tina Turner, Nik Kershaw and Dire Straits, you're going to be bitterly disappointed...
 
1) When Doves Cry (Edit): Prince
2) Two Tribes (For The Victims Of Ravishment) (Album Version): Frankie Goes To Hollywood
3) Eighties (Album Version): Killing Joke
4) Close (To The Edit) (Video Version 2): The Art Of Noise
5) Sexcrime (Nineteen Eighty-Four) (Single Mix): Eurythmics
6) I Wanna Be Loved (Radio Version): Elvis Costello & The Attractions ft. Green Gartside
7) Nelson Mandela (Extended Version): The Special AKA ft. Stan Campbell
8) Since Yesterday (Album Version): Strawberry Switchblade
9) (Feels Like) Heaven (Album Version): Fiction Factory
10) Eyes Without A Face (Single Version): Billy Idol
11) Sunset Now (Album Version): Heaven 17 ft. Afrodiziak
12) Come Back (The Story Of The Reds) (Album Version): The Mighty Wah! ft. Josie Jones

Side One (46:25) (KF) (Mega)

8 comments:

  1. Keep that mix well away from hammers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It goes without saying that Jan Hammer is not allowed anywhere near it!

      Delete
  2. Come Back is an all timer for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I did leave it off the original tape then I feel I've at least made amends, nearly 25 years later.

      A spoiler, but I have to confess that Pete unfortunately didn't make it a hat trick when it gets to 1986... Forgive me, Adam.

      Delete
  3. Nothing to do with your mix but I went to see 1984's Thomas Dolby last night. Very good he was too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to have been there, Ernie. I've been greatly enjoying some of his old podcasts and videos recently. I understand that Thomas has also regained the full head of hair that he had in 1984. What a guy, always on the cutting edge. I must get around to creating a Dubhed Selection soon. In Dolby, of course.

      Delete
    2. He had lovely luxuriant hair. I'm not sure whether it is 100% original. He had a few virtual guests with him as well:

      https://www.flickr.com/photos/gogginsworld/53946249294/in/dateposted-public/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/gogginsworld/53945011272/in/dateposted-public/

      Delete
    3. Well, yes and no. Here's the story from the man himself:
      https://youtu.be/TpLESu7NMX0?si=ZivHjtgemF3js7bQhttps://youtu.be/TpLESu7NMX0?si=ZivHjtgemF3js7bQ

      Just checked out the setlist from the evening - very interesting! Nice to see that Budapest By Blimp, I've always felt that the Aliens Ate My Buick album didn't get the love it deserved over here.

      Delete