Wednesday 14 August 2024

Maybe I Don’t Need Your Love To Show Me That I’m Good Enough


I know I posted about Katy J Pearson barely a month ago, but she's released another great single and video in Maybe, so it would be remiss of me not to draw your attention to it.
 
Here's the promo blurb that dropped into my email inbox courtesy of Heavenly Recordings on Tuesday.
 
I’ve had this song with me for years now —  I wrote it about 6 years ago, and it was a little tiny soundbyte demo. Over the last few records I kept going back to it, but it just didn’t click. Heavenly heard it and loved it, and I was like I’m glad you like it but I hate it, it’s the bane of my life, this song is never seeing the light of day, no way. I was so stubborn, but the label really wanted me to put it on the record, so I tried to see if I could like it again. 
 
It took a while to get it there. When I was in the rehearsal room with Huw Evans, a few lyric tweaks happened. The chorus used to be "maybe I need your love / to show me that I’m good enough" and he was like why are you being like this to yourself? It should be the other way round! And I was like oh, ok, thank you, feminist ally in the room. When a man’s telling me what to do in a studio I can get my back up pretty quickly, so it was brave of him to suggest it, but he was right.
 
When we changed the sentiment of the song, now "maybe I don’t need your love / to show me that I’m good enough", my whole feeling about it changed, and it meant that we managed to actually get a handle on what it was meant to be like sonically. It just shows that it’s really important who you choose to have in a room with you.
 
The video is directed by film maker, animator and artist Edie Lawrence, who previously worked with Katy on the brilliant Alligator, and Maybe is equally vibrant and fun. 
 
Based on the (fictional) North Somerset Archeress* Grand Final, it's also an acknowledgement of archery as a sport that pioneered equality for women’s participation. South Korea has dominated women's team archery since it was introduced as an Olympic event in 1988, winning their 10th consecutive gold in Paris a couple of weeks ago in a thrilling final.

* There's plenty of real archery clubs in Somerset (and across the UK), if you've been bitten by the bug.

Katy's album Someday, Now is out on 20th September and it would be understating things somewhat to say that I am looking forward to it.

3 comments:

  1. Another good one by Katy and yes I'm also looking forward to her new album

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Walter, I think it's going to be worth the wait.

      Delete
  2. Someone who I just took a passing interest in, until really falling for her co-vocal with Yard Act. Will certainly be purchasing the forthcoming album.

    ReplyDelete