Sunday 11 August 2024

Decade I: 1981


Side 2 of a mixtape compiled 4th February 1990.
 
After setting the bar high with side 1, could I hope to match it on the flipside? Well, this is 1981 we're talking about here...
 
Although I didn't start buying records in earnest for another few years, when I had a Saturday job and therefore money to spend, 1980 and 1981 were perhaps the two years when my love of music became an obsession. 
 
I started sticking posters on my wall, mostly from Look-In, occasionally Smash Hits or one of the other pop mags that included pin-ups and lyrics for all the chart hits. I used to send blank cassettes to my uncle so that he could borrow albums from his local library and help build my collection. I was fascinated by the New Romantic and synthpop bands that would pop up with alarming regularity on kids' TV shows. 
 
And pop videos! It was a perfect time, musically speaking at least.

Making a return visit on this side are Visage, The Human League and O.M.D., others for the first time but destined to reappear in later volumes. Again, I'm really happy with the sequencing of this selection, although I ran out of tape on the original recording and had to go back and fade out Heaven 17 early in order to squeeze in Gary Numan. No such ignominy in this digital age, so you get the full version of (We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thang, as intended.

I will return to this series over the next few weekends but I have to confess that Decade volumes II and III (1982-1985) were lost many years ago on my travels. I don't have a note of the track listings either so I will aim to recreate selections that reflect what was in my collection at the time.

In the meantime, get that trench coat on, back comb that hair and go stand on a street corner looking moody whilst listening to this on your Walkman!

1) Vienna (Album Version): Ultravox
2) Europe After The Rain (Album Version): John Foxx
3) Mind Of A Toy (Album Version): Visage
4) Passionate Friend (Album Version): The Teardrop Explodes
5) Pretty In Pink (Album Version): The Psychedelic Furs
6) Grey Day (Album Version): Madness
7) Bedsitter (Album Version): Soft Cell
8) The Sound Of The Crowd (Album Version): The Human League
9) Joan Of Arc (Album Version): O.M.D.
10) New Life (Remix): Depeche Mode
11) (We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thang (Album Version): Heaven 17
12) She's Got Claws ('Modern Dance' Edit): Gary Numan

Side Two (46:24) (KF) (Mega)

10 comments:

  1. CC is right! Another great compilation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CC is generally right about most things. Thanks, Mike!

      Delete
  2. What is with all this modern nonsense? Bring back 1980!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might want to take a break from visiting for the new few weekends, Ernie, it gets worse!

      Delete
  3. Your last sentence sums it up perfectly, what a time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lay down thy trenchcoat........and grooooooooooooooooove.

    ReplyDelete