Wednesday 21 August 2024

...Aber Ja

I took advantage of Berlin-based NEIN Records' recent half price sale on Bandcamp to update my digital collection.

Formed in 2012 by Ian Considine, his son Jonah, and lifelong friend Ian Parnell, Nein Records initially existed to release the latter's music as Tronik Youth. I had a few Tronik Youth edits and remixes in that decade, but I only really became aware of Nein Records, like many other labels, during lockdown in 2020, when I started investing in digital music (and frequenting Bandcamp) more heavily.

Since those early days, Nein Records has built up an impressive roster of artists, whether regular or one-off releases, and are fast approaching 500 releases on Bandcamp alone.

Here are a few examples from my recent bargain shopping trip.

Japanese Limo Boys are Niev, Pedro Laghi and Fabio Kstro from Brazil. Teaming up with Maria Eugênia Feirabend, who made contact with the Shanenawa tribe and negotiated agreement to lend their voices to the Boys' music. Envira is the first of two songs to be released, not your typical Nein Records banger, but a laidback groove, underpinning tribal chants. More Byrne and Eno than Deep Forest, I'm looking forward to hearing the second track, Shanenawa, when it's released in September.

 
Cosman is a DJ and Producer from Lithuania  and currently based in the Baltic coastal resort of Palanga. As such, the environ infuses and influences his music although as the mix titles of latest single I Say Yes boldly proclaim, there's an interest in all things 90s style. Cosman delivers an Indie Dance and Euro 90s remix of the song. I've gone for the former, but both deliver as do the 'guest remixes from label boss Tronik Youth and Spain's Adrián Peña Sánchez aka Calystarr.

 
Back to the UK for the last of today's picks with the wonderfully titled Acid In Wonderland EP by Jay-Son aka Jason Dixon. In addition to the title track, you get Balearic Spike and today's featured track, Ibizian Magic. All chugtastic, although the final song does bring the tempo down a little and sprinkles a "rebirth of disco" sample to sweeten the taste.

 

4 comments:

  1. Ja - NEIN Records is very good place to visit and find some great gems, Khayem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy with my recent shopping picks and I will be going back for more at the next Bandcamp Friday in September.

      Delete
  2. I have just been sent a freebie purporting to be Tronik Youth collaborating with someone called Stockholm Syndrome. But it is on a different label (Melomana Records). Perhaps it is an elaborate scam?

    ReplyDelete
  3. An elaborate scam, Ernie? NEIN! Sie sind alle musikliebhaber *

    * With apologies to Walter for my poor school days German.

    ReplyDelete