Tuesday 20 August 2024

Cherry On Top

I mentioned yesterday that Jeb Loy Nichols shared a London squat with Neneh Cherry in the early 1980s, which seems as good an excuse as any to revisit Neneh's incredible catalogue. 

I've skipped her early ventures with Rip Rig + Panic, Float Up CP, The Slits, New Age Steppers and The The (although I did feature that song in August 2022) and focussed on 1988's ground breaking Raw Like Sushi, right up to 2022's The Versions, which (mostly) reworks songs from that astonishing debut. In typically contrary fashion, I'm doing it in reverse chronological order.

Much as I love Neneh Cherry, frankly I found The Versions below par, Sia's go at Manchild being a prime example of faithful cover versions only highlighting that the original was so, so much better. Thankfully, the ever dependable Kelsey Lu at least takes the song in a different direction, thereby avoiding any unfavourable comparisons. Unfortunately, there are few examples like this on the album to recommend it. 

However, it's Neneh all the way from there on in (plus one collaboration with Swedish-Norwegian free jazz/jazz rock trio The Thing), so you know you're in for some quality sounds and some memorable visuals. I've not seen most of these videos before so it was a treat to experience the songs again in these settings.

And, in case you missed it, I've reactivated the links to my mega-mama Neneh Cherry selection (two volumes, two hours!) to celebrate her 60th back in March 2024.

If it's sweetness that you're looking for, you're in the right place.

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment