"Losing a cat is like losing a lover", opines Momus in the opening line of his new song, Lost Cat.
I have checked and Catty K is accounted for, seemingly comatose about three metres from where I'm sitting, but for the odd whimper as she no doubt dreams of small mammal massacre (thankfully not something that she is in any way competent at in the waking world).
Lost Cat's intro misdirected me towards This Is The Day by The The merged with Fade Into You by Mazzy Star, but is of course neither and plays out like a downbeat, forlorn neighbour of Jellypop Perky Jean by Julian Cope. Well, it's about a lost cat for goodness sake, it would be forlorn, wouldn't it?
It also got me thinking of other cats in my music collection, though no Stray Cats, you may be disappointed to read.
I included Pussycat by Mulu in the second of my recent #HappyMusic selections. My go to is the jaunty 12" remix by François Kevorkian. There is a version on YT, which rather clumsily edits the original video to fit a radio edit of FK's mix.
Me'Shell NdegéOcello has been releasing a series of collaborations which presumably will make up a forthcoming album. In keeping with today's theme, one of those partners is - unexpectedly and delightfully - Cat Power (well, I featured Cat Stevens yesterday).
Even more unexpectedly, they duet on a cover of Don't You Want Me by The Human League. Despite a bassline to die for, I'm still deciding whether Meshell and Cat's version is better or worse than the 1992 effort by The Farm....
I've been revisiting Gavin Friday's 1995 album Shag Tobacco in the past few weeks. I love all of Gavin's solo records, but I think this edges it as my favourite. A highlight amongst highlights is the cabaret wa-hey-hey of Mr. Pussy. I've no idea what the source of this video is, but it's both ill-fitting and morbidly fascinating.
My last offering really needs no introduction, it's The Lovecats by The Cure. This was the first record of theirs that I bought, on German import 12" vinyl from HMV, sometime in 1987. At the time, I plumped for this over the (then) new release Why Can't I Be You? No regrets.
Apologies to any visitors who are allergic to cats, this blog will be a feline free zone tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment