From yesterday's working class hero to today's Working Men's Club and a new song and video, Devout.
First impressions, very good. I can't help but be reminded of Clan Of Xymox in their 4AD pomp, but Sydney Minsky-Sargeant's vocals are less aching and forlorn, more insistent and inviting.
The beats are pulsing and insistent, with lots of squalls and screeches to keep the listener present and not drift into a trance. I'm intrigued that Working Men's Club have worked with producer Atticus Ross on this one, who I'm familiar with from his collaborations with Trent Reznor/Nine Inch Nails, Barry Adamson, Jehnny Beth and Bomb The Bass. On the strength of this single, I hope there's more.
Heading over to Bandcamp to buy, I was put off by the eye-watering $9.00 price tag for the track, with no indication that this is a pre-order for an album, so I can only assume it's a typo and will be corrected.
In the meantime, head straight to WMC's label Domino where you can buy Devout for a much more reasonable 99 pence.
No comments:
Post a Comment