I've followed Neil Young's music pretty much from the time that I started buying records, and a birthday gift of a an original vinyl issue of Harvest is probably the most treasured item in my collection.
I've not religiously followed Neil from album to album, but a new release often strikes a chord and I'm drawn in. So it is with Second Song, the latest by Neil and The Chrome Hearts.
So far, I've only heard the three songs posted here but the music is in the same land as Harvest and it's belated sequel, Harvest Moon. On brief listen, Neil is in reflective mood, feeling the weight of the years and seemingly getting his affairs in order.
Second Song promises to be another entry in the (long) list of Neil Young's great albums.
A good time to trot out the Graham Nash story - 'The man is totally committed to the muse of music. And he’ll do anything for good music. And sometimes it’s very strange. I was at Neil’s ranch one day just south of San Francisco, and he has a beautiful lake with red-wing blackbirds. And he asked me if I wanted to hear his new album, “Harvest.” And I said sure, let’s go into the studio and listen.
ReplyDeleteOh, no. That’s not what Neil had in mind. He said get into the rowboat.
I said get into the rowboat? He said, yeah, we’re going to go out into the middle of the lake. Now, I think he’s got a little cassette player with him or a little, you know, early digital format player. So I’m thinking I’m going to wear headphones and listen in the relative peace in the middle of Neil’s lake.
Oh, no. He has his entire house as the left speaker and his entire barn as the right speaker. And I heard “Harvest” coming out of these two incredibly large loud speakers louder than hell. It was unbelievable. Elliot Mazer, who produced Neil, produced “Harvest,” came down to the shore of the lake and he shouted out to Neil: How was that, Neil?
And I swear to god, Neil Young shouted back: More barn!