Once A Man, Twice A Child was released last week, one of the finest Dexys Midnight Runners of their entire span.
If Love truly is the final Dexys album, and Kevin Rowland calls it a day, what a finale. His voice, his lyrics, his ability to strike that emotional chord is undiminished. And David Holmes' production is light of touch and heavy on impact. What a collaboration.
I've listened to Once A Man, Twice A Child on repeat and I'm welling up. I might need a minute.
I'm glad I had those times with you
Made up for what we both went through.
And it was so great hugging you.
In those last days days of you
I helped you button up your shirt
It somehow helped to heal the hurt
Gave me a closeness never seen
I was so glad you needed me
Once a man, and twice a child
Was so true for you
And that gave me chance
To get close to you.
I kissed your head before you slept
And when you died I never wept
It was all locked up inside
You taught too well how to hide
Once a man, and twice a child
Was so true for you
And that gave me chance
To get close to you
I don’t know what else I can say,
but I thought I’d never see the day
When I could be at peace with you
It just shows what love can do
Once a man, and twice a child
Was so true for you
And that gave me chance
To show how I loved you
No comments:
Post a Comment