Unlikely as it may seem, this is Visions Of You, performed by Jah Wobble's Invaders Of The Heart and Sinéad O'Connor on Saturday morning BBC1 kids' TV programme Going Live!
Skip the first 5 seconds if you want to avoid Gordon The Gopher and his sidekick, otherwise this is a pretty much uninterrupted version of the song, unlike the 120 seconds or so that would usually be afforded on Top Of The Pops.
I would never have considered Going Live, or it's predecessors Saturday Superstore and Swap Shop, to be particularly progressive or daring in respect of it's music bookings, but this is pretty out there by anyone's standards.
And if any parents were present, did their ears prick up in mild alarm at the opening verse?
I'm not numbed out anymore
Not longer feel the hate and pain
No longer drenched in shame
I'm not numbed out anymore
Now I am the key to the door
I mean, it's hardly Goodnight Girl by Wet Wet effing Wet, is it? That particular song was bothering the UK #1 spot when Visions Of You was released and was still there (for a fourth week) on 9th February 1992 when Jah Wobble, Sinéad and the Invaders peaked at #35. Thankfully, the refreshingly morbid Stay by Shakespear's Sister was at #2, poised to knock them off the top the following week...
I wasn't watching Going Live in 1992, but I was buying records and the 12" single of Visions Of You was a must buy, not just for the song and the guest star, but the superb remixes by Adrian Sherwood and (three, count 'em, three) by Andrew Weatherall. All of them have stood the test of time and are simply magnificent.
Finally, if you're looking to add something to your Bandcamp Friday shopping bag this week, how about 2017 album Usual Suspects, where Jah Wobble & The Invaders Of The Heart revisit and revise 23 back catalogue gems, including a sumptuous seven and a half minute version of Visions Of You?
No comments:
Post a Comment