Tuesday, 8 September 2026

It Just Shows What Love Can Do

Once A Man, Twice A Child was released last week, one of the finest Dexys Midnight Runners of their entire span.

If Love truly is the final Dexys album, and Kevin Rowland calls it a day, what a finale. His voice, his lyrics, his ability to strike that emotional chord is undiminished. And David Holmes' production is light of touch and heavy on impact. What a collaboration.

I've listened to Once A Man, Twice A Child on repeat and I'm welling up. I might need a minute.


I'm glad I had those times with you
Made up for what we both went through. 
And it was so great hugging you.
In those last days days of you


I helped you button up your shirt
It somehow helped to heal the hurt
Gave me a closeness never seen
I was so glad you needed me


Once a man, and twice a child
Was so true for you
And that gave me chance
To get close to you.

I kissed your head before you slept
And when you died I never wept
It was all locked up inside
You taught too well how to hide


Once a man, and twice a child
Was so true for you
And that gave me chance
To get close to you


I don’t know what else I can say, 
but I thought I’d never see the day
When I could be at peace with you
It just shows what love can do


Once a man, and twice a child
Was so true for you
And that gave me chance
To show how I loved you

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I’m contenting myself with the digital version for now, Ernie, and it’s a cracker.

      Delete
  2. His autobiography is an excellent read. I'm looking forward to seeing him in a live setting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that you had a good night in the company of Mr. Rowland, Mike!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for reminding me to order my copy - I hadn't realised it was out now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s been on all week at Casa K, I am fully committed to it’s brilliance, Rol!

      Delete