Wednesday 1 September 2021

Wednesday Songs

Yep, you guessed it: 11 songs with Wednesday in the title. This selection includes much loved songs by The Undertones, Elvis Costello & The Attractions and The Woodentops, an instrumental from Pete Shelley & Howard Devoto (was it really nearly 20 years ago?!) and a song from The Psychedelic Furs' spectacular comeback album last year.
 
A tip of the hat to Flimflamfan and Strangeways for introducing me to The Hardy Boys and The Siddeleys respectively via two excellent Imaginary Compilation Albums over at The Vinyl Villain. There's another brilliant ICA courtesy of Martin, the Swedish Correspondent, up this morning. 
 
Side One (17:33)
1) Wednesday's Emotional Setup: ShelleyDevoto (2002)
2) Wednesday: Drive-By Truckers (2006)
3) My Favourite Wet Wednesday Afternoon (Single Version): The Siddeleys (1987)
4) Wednesday Week: The Undertones (1980)
5) Ash Wednesday: The Psychedelic Furs (2020)

Side Two (16:39)
1) A Wednesday In August: The The (2017)
2) Wednesday's Child (Album Version): Emilíana Torrini (1999)
3) Wednesday Week: Elvis Costello & The Attractions (1978)
4) Wet Wednesday Evening: The Hardy Boys (1992)
5) Wednesday Jones (Dixie) (Version): Stephen Duffy (1986)
6) Tuesday Wednesday: The Woodentops (1988)

6 comments:

  1. Good stuff
    The only one I could think of off the top of my head was The Undertones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CC. To be honest, if the only song I'd had for this post was Wednesday Week by The Undertones, I'd still be happy.

      Delete
  2. Lovely list - and a track off the latest Psychedelic Furs Album which is better than it has any right to be...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're spot on, Mike. When I last saw The Furs live in 2012, they seemed so locked into a "Greatest Hits" touring groove. Good though it was, it was inconceivable then that they'd even release a new album, let alone a career highlight.

      Delete
  3. This is where I tell you all of the songs you missed... only I can't. You even remembered the Hardy Boys. I had to dig in my collection all the way to the obscure band Future World Moves to find something, and that's quite a stretch. Wonderful mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brian. The credit for The Hardy Boys is squarely with flimflamfan (for the ICA) and JC (for posting it on TVV), as they'd completely passed me by until January this year. And with an extra tip of the hat to Strangeways, I hadn't noticed until today's post how wonderfully The Siddeleys and The Hardy Boys' song titles complement each other.

      I've never heard of Future World Moves, but have just tracked their 'Wednesday' on YouTube. Interesting!

      I think the Wednesday Well in my collection is now well and truly drained.

      Delete